Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jul 17, 2011, 03:48 PM

I know what the left has defined as 'McCarthyism'. I say his charge that the Soviets had penetrated the US Government ,espcially the State Dept was right on as the evidence has shown.It was not done " without proper regard for evidence".
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2011, 03:54 PM
    Meanwhile at Fox News the shenanigans continue:
    The Most Incredible Thing Fox News Has Ever Done - James Fallows - National - The Atlantic

They have no shame.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2011, 04:23 PM

Hello, again:

I suppose since FOX has news shows where they tell the truth AND opinion shows where they don't, this must be one of their opinion shows.

Nonetheless, if FOX wants to keep up the pretenses of journalism, they'll have to STOP this kind of crap EVEN on its opinion shows. It IS kind of incredulous that they would spin it this way. It looks like the last gasps of a drowning man.

excon
    TUT317 Posts: 657, Reputation: 76

Jul 17, 2011, 05:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    The Most Incredible Thing Fox News Has Ever Done - James Fallows - National - The Atlantic

They have no shame.

Hi Kama,

Murdoch has no shame so why would Fox? When you are dealing news from the level of the gutter shame is the least of your worries.
    Uber Member

Jul 18, 2011, 04:38 AM

Hello again:

If there IS such a thing as a "culture of corruption" (a favorite right wing expression), Murdock's empire exemplifies it.

Why would ANYONE think that culture isn't prevalent right here in our midst?

excon
    Ultra Member

Jul 18, 2011, 04:45 AM

Oh I know it is ; I see it in the power of GE and their conglomerate media empire.

You telling me that big media empires should be broken up ;I'll agree. Despite attempts trying to associate my views to the power of the Murdoch empire ,it just isn't so.
    There are a few shows on FOX news I watch ;and I tune in to the local FOX network because they air NFL games. Other than that ,I don't think FOX advances our culture with their course and crude choices they air on their entertainment programs.

If FOX News goes there will be someone else to pick up the mantle . The viewership is there which means there is a market for what they air.
    Uber Member

Jul 18, 2011, 04:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    You telling me that big media empires should be broken up ;I'll agree.
    Hello again, tom:

No problem here with that! The media we have now are nothing but public relations firms - FOX included.

excon
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Jul 18, 2011, 06:41 AM

They have no shame.
    That's "the most incredible thing Fox News has ever done"? Bwa ha haaa! Much worse than creating fake service documents on the president.
    Uber Member

Jul 18, 2011, 06:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx View Post
    That's "the most incredible thing Fox News has ever done"? Bwa ha haaa!
    You're right, there are plenty of others but this one related to the original topic.
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Jul 18, 2011, 08:04 AM

No, if this is "the MOST INCREDIBLE THING Fox News has EVER done," The Atlantic, WaPo, News Hounds and Media Matters (among others) need to find a new hobby. Like, covering something important.
    Uber Member

Jul 18, 2011, 02:42 PM
    Well things may have taken a nastier turn:

News of the World phone-hacking whistleblower found dead
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Jul 19, 2011, 04:14 PM
    Deep doo indeed, was that doo doo Rupert was hit with?
    Ultra Member

Jul 19, 2011, 04:19 PM
    Well things may have taken a nastier turn:

News of the World phone-hacking whistleblower found dead
    Nice of them to mention that Sean Hoare had been ill for years .

deep doo indeed, was that doo doo Rupert was hit with?
    A whip cream pie. See his wife try to punch out the puke that tried it ?
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Jul 19, 2011, 04:32 PM
    nice of them to mention that Sean Hoare had been ill for years .

a whip cream pie. See his wife try to punch out the puke that tried it ?
    How do you get a can of whip cream into Parliament? Yes good try on the part of the wife but she missed.

You are not suggesting the British press are being even handed, they must be on their best behaviour, still it is not the first time a brit in a scandal has been found dead.

I think Rupert's defense is appalling, but they are really asking the wrong person, his role in the company is hardly day to day operational, he would be contemplating the next takeover not some grubby story in a grubby little nation. Still it was the most expensive story ever I wonder what the cost in billions is?
    Ultra Member

Jul 21, 2011, 12:58 PM

In an age when Jullian Assange antics are touted as Nobel prize material I think this story is a bit over blown.

Did the US ever have an example like this ? You betcha.

Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein at the very beginning of what was to become 'Watergate' gained access to phone records and credit card records during their investigation and used them.
    They of course are now the famous journalists that all others aspire to become.

From pages 35 and 36 of All the President’s Men:
    Bernstein had several sources in the Bell system. He was always reluctant to use them to get information about calls because of the ethical questions involved in breaching the confidentiality of a person’s telephone records. It was a problem he had never resolved in his mind. Why, as a reporter, was he entitled to have access to personal and financial records when such disclosure would outrage him if he were subjected to a similar inquiry by investigators?

Without dwelling on his problem, Bernstein called a telephone company source and asked for a list of Barker’s calls. That afternoon, his contact called back and confirmed that the calls listed in the Times had been made. But, he added, he could not get a fuller listing because Barker’s phone records had been subpoenaed by the Miami district attorney.

Bernstein of course now justifies his abuse with the greater good argument .
    Here from his recent Snoozeweek op ed .
    When Bob Woodward and I came up against difficult ethical questions, such as whether to approach grand jurors for information (which we did, and perhaps shouldn’t have), we sought executive editor Ben Bradlee’s counsel, and he in turn called in the company lawyers, who gave the go-ahead and outlined the legal issues in full. Publisher Katharine Graham was informed. Likewise, Bradlee was aware when I obtained private telephone and credit-card records of one of the Watergate figures.
    Carl Bernstein: Is Phone-Hacking Scandal Murdoch's Watergate? - Newsweek

Ah! The boss said it was OK!! Note the clever way he ties Murdoch into the Watergate tale. Of course if he told his boss about it then surely the reporters at News of the World must've told Murdoch.
    TUT317 Posts: 657, Reputation: 76

Jul 21, 2011, 03:24 PM

Bernstein of course now justifies his abuse with the greater good argument .
    Here from his recent Snoozeweek op ed .
    Carl Bernstein: Is Phone-Hacking Scandal Murdoch's Watergate? - Newsweek

Ah !! the boss said it was ok !!! Note the clever way he ties Murdoch into the Watergate tale. Of course if he told his boss about it then surely the reporters at News of the World must've told Murdoch.

Hi Tom,

Are you saying that because Bernstein and Woodward have sullied reputations the article is baseless?

We all know what fallacy that commits.

Tut

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Explain me the you.S Tax Terms (W2, 1099, Corp to Corp). [ 4 Answers ]

Hi there, Could anyone please explain me what does these U.S Tax Terms (W2, 1099, Corp to Corp). Looking forward for a good explanation. Thanks, Sam.

Me and my spouse own 100% of stock in my c corp. Can the corp pay us dividends? [ 0 Answers ]

Is it deductible to my corporation and how do I compute this number

Obama stepping into deep doodoo to tax veterans for health care [ 18 Answers ]

Get the tea parties ready for new Obama tax: "It was stated then that The American Legion believes that the reimbursement plan would be inconsistent with the mandate that VA treat service-connected injuries and disabilities given that the United States government sends members of the armed forces...

Good news or bad news are these doctors of their rocker? [ 4 Answers ]

Hello everyone, well I went to the doctor today concerning my miscarriage last week. Some of you may have read my post about having discharge and why the bleeding stopped (after only 3-4 days), well it turns out I am one of those women who can pass everything in 4 days. I have had an ultrasound...

View more questions Search