Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    FinkPloyd Posts: 20, Reputation: 7

Jul 22, 2011, 06:20 AM
    This looks like a nice, small, 9mm gun:
    Kimber America | Solo Carry 9 mm Pistol

... but I'm not familiar with the Kimber line. Do any of you have any comments about this gun or Kimber in general?

Also, the Kimber Solo is VERY expensive ($747.00 US). My guess, though, is that the price will come down soon.

The S&W Bodyguard 380 that I carry was almost $600 when it first came out about a year ago... but now it's only $369 at local stores.
    raisingale Posts: 71, Reputation: 20

Jul 22, 2011, 06:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by FinkPloyd View Post
    This looks like a nice, small, 9mm gun:
    Kimber America | Solo Carry 9 mm Pistol

... but I'm not familiar with the Kimber line. Do any of you have any comments about this gun or Kimber in general?

Also, the Kimber Solo is VERY expensive ($747.00 US). My guess, though, is that the price will come down soon.

The S&W Bodyguard 380 that I carry was almost $600 when it first came out about a year ago... but now it's only $369 at local stores.
    Kimber is considered to be amongst the top of the line. They sure produce a beautiful product. I've never fired one but I know they are highly regarded.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Jul 22, 2011, 07:10 AM
    Kimber is an expensive line of guns... finely made. They specialize in 1911 style autos.

If you want my opinion... yes, that Kimber seems small but... at 6 rounds capacity, you are not really trading up all that much from your .380 S&W. If you could find a small 9 with 10 rounds or more, then maybe it would be worth spending the money. . 380 has killed many people over it's history. Then again, so has 9mm. Lol.

Jul 22, 2011, 08:57 AM

Dang! Why do I keep waffling on this issue?

I know that a bad guy who takes 2 rounds to the chest will go down... so why am I eager to "upgrade" to a 9mm?

I don't know!

I guess I just like guns!. yes, I do.

... but in summary I think that I will (based on all of your opinions) just stick with my 380 for concealed... and when I really get a hankering to get something bigger, go for a nice full sized gun of some sort for shooting fun on the range/ in the woods.

Jul 22, 2011, 09:16 AM

Keep in mind as well that a 380 is also called a 9mm Short. It's the same diameter as a 9mm. A little less punch to it but essentially the same projectile. Certainly not interchangeable though!

Jul 22, 2011, 09:25 AM

I know.

Technically, the .380 is a bit bigger diameter than a 9mm (.38 = 9.652mm)... but yes, I know that it does not have as much powder behind it.

Jul 22, 2011, 09:30 AM
    I know.

Technically, the .380 is a bit bigger diameter than a 9mm (.38 = 9.652mm) ... but yes, I know that it does not have as much powder behind it.
    Put a +P round in your Body Guard and walk the streets with confidence! Speaking of fun guns to shoot, (off subject, I know... ) Check out the GSG-522 Tactical .22LR. I just picked one up and got a 110 round drum magazine with it. It's a great deal of fun and cheap to shoot! It's a carbine mind you so it may not be of interest. I'm just still giddy over mine due to the sheer fun of it!

Jul 22, 2011, 09:39 AM

Putting a +P round into my gun will negate the warranty.

Putting a +P round into a gun that is not designed for it can also be a danger to the user if the gun blows up while trying to shoot with that sort of round.
    Entomology Expert

Jul 22, 2011, 09:55 AM
    Diameter wise, 380 and 9mm are exact. You can't go by the designation of .380 being actually .38" in diameter. Raisingale is correct that the .380 is a 9mm "short" (aka 9mm Kurtz). The projectile of both are roughly .355 to .36 but for whatever reason, the .380 ACP was designated as a .380. The shell is a little shorter, the powder charge is a little less, muzzle energy is less, yet it is designated with a larger size. It is the same way with .38 Special and .357 Magnum. Both bullets are the same diameter but the .357 Magnum is the heavier hitting round because of more powder. Don't ask me why it is this way...you'd have to go way back through history to get an actual answer that makes sense. As a side note, they do the same thing with car engines. 5.0 litre engine is 302 cubic inches for Ford, 305 for Chevy....anyway...

I don't want to talk you out of getting a bigger gun or 9mm. It is your choice. All I was doing was giving you advice to try and save you money. I do completely understand the want or "need" to move up. I mean, I do have 3 carry guns...do I need that many? Of course not but I got the "fever" at one point too. It's OK, and most of us get it. If you want to move up, then do it! Have fun with it. Just be sure to practice if and when you do switch. Another suggestion that may help... there are plenty of 9mm's out there that are small enough to carry comfortably in a hip holster covered under a jacket or shirt. You may want to consider that for cooler weather carry since it is easier to conceal. Just be sure to spend the money and get a good holster or you will find yourself very uncomfortable in a short amount of time.

I attached (or tried to, let's see if it works) a picture of my 9mm, 38, and .380 carry guns just so you can see them.
    Attached Images

Entomology Expert

Jul 22, 2011, 09:59 AM
    @ Raisingale-

My friend has the GSG... what a cool little gun. Loads of fun to shoot. I bought a S&W M&P15-22 (same style as an AR-15) and I find that real fun to "play" with too. . 22's are great for practice and just blowing off steam now and then. Lol.

Jul 22, 2011, 10:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by odinn7 View Post
    @ Raisingale-

My friend has the GSG...what a cool little gun. Loads of fun to shoot. I bought a S&W M&P15-22 (same style as an AR-15) and I find that real fun to "play" with too. .22's are great for practice and just blowing off steam now and then. lol.
    I was torn between the two. That S&W 15-22 is awesome. I love how it breaks down for easy cleaning. I got the H&K pushpins for mine so now it's real quick and easy takedown too. They are fun! My first choice was to get and mod a Ruger 10-22 but saw these "new" tactical models and was instantly smitten!
    Entomology Expert

Jul 22, 2011, 11:14 AM
    I actually decided on the S&W 15-22 because I own an AR-15 and was looking for a cheaper way to practice with it. The 15-22 is almost the same as a standard AR-15 in the way that it functions and breaks down. Safety, charging handle, magazine release are all the same location and function as an AR so it is an economical way to stay in practice. If it wasn't for that, I was going for a GSG as I think that's incredibly cool. My friend bought a laser sight, scope, and fore grip for his which adds a little to the fun factor.

Jul 22, 2011, 11:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by odinn7 View Post
    I actually decided on the S&W 15-22 because I own an AR-15 and was looking for a cheaper way to practice with it. The 15-22 is almost the same as a standard AR-15 in the way that it functions and breaks down. Safety, charging handle, magazine release are all the same location and function as an AR so it is an economical way to stay in practice. If it wasn't for that, I was going for a GSG as I think that's incredibly cool. My friend bought a laser sight, scope, and fore grip for his which adds a little to the fun factor.
    You're right about the AR-15 similarity. They're hugely popular for the reason you stated. The GSG would be equally suited as a practice weapon in lieu of the HK MP-5. In fact, GSG got sued for the similarity. Their solution was a knurled grip and a different look to the charging bolt. My plan for mine is identical to what your friend did with his. I can't decide between a laser site or a fiber optic site though. I love the look of fiber optics. Especially on handguns. That or Tritium. Talk about easy target acquisition!
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jul 22, 2011, 01:32 PM

Taurus makes a great line of guns. And one of the new features is sa/da in their semi-auto. They have good pricing too.

Taurus International Manufacturing Inc

Jul 23, 2011, 07:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post
    Taurus makes a great line of guns. And one of the new features is sa/da in thier semi-auto. They have good pricing too.

Taurus International Manufacturing Inc
    I used to have the little Taurus (also 380) but I hated it. The part that rests against my "thumb web" was so skinny that it actually hurt my hand when firing it at the range.

Also, the magazine release is very poorly placed. It's easy to release the magazine while firing it.

... so I sold it and bought the S&W.
    Internet Research Expert

Jul 23, 2011, 07:23 AM
    I used to have the little Taurus (also 380) but I hated it. The part that rests against my "thumb web" was so skinny that it actually hurt my hand when firing it at the range.

Also, the magazine release is very poorly placed. It's easy to release the magazine while firing it.

...so I sold it and bought the S&W.
    This is exactly why I encourage people to go to a range that has rental guns of the style and type that they want to shoot. That way you can avoid the ones your not comfortable with rather then making a bad purchase and having to sell it or trade it.

Taurus does make some good guns and some of the newer ones are winning awards and accolades from both the industry and users alike.

Also a word of caution when buying a gun off the internet. Find a local store that carries the one you want and try it in your hands before you buy it from whatever source. That way you will know what your getting. A picture says many things but nothing beats being there :)
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jul 28, 2011, 04:50 PM

See if any of this helps:
    http://www.best9mm.com/index.html
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 28, 2011, 05:43 PM

Not sure other peoples area, but here in Atlanta, the better gun ranges all have gun rentals with all types of guns you can try, It is also fun to shoot different weapons
    MDucharme71 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2011, 10:02 PM
    For a good concealed weapon, look at the Sub-compact models, I bought for myself the Springfield XD-40 that weighs a mere 26oz, and I got my wife the Taurus MILLENNIUM PRO .40 that only weighs 18.7oz
    Internet Research Expert

Nov 16, 2011, 05:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by MDucharme71 View Post
    For a good concealed weapon, look at the Sub-compact models, I bought for myself the Springfield XD-40 that weighs a mere 26oz, and I got my wife the Taurus MILLENNIUM PRO .40 that only weighs 18.7oz
    Subs are great but make sure your comfortable with it. When it comes to subs many have a shortened grip. Just make sure to handle the gun before you buy. There are solutions for a shortened grip if you need it depending on the weapon.

Welcome to AMHD MDucharme.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to desilt concealed water pipes from overhead tanks [ 6 Answers ]

Hi guys, Would like help with this, we have a overhead tank from which water is distributed to various bathrooms and other locations through concealed PVC pipes(cold water) and GI Pipes for hot water. The pipe lines are 10 years old, due to the hardness of the water, we are facing a problem of...

Holster (concealed carry) for my Smith & Wesson Bodyguard 380 [ 8 Answers ]

I carry the S&W Bodyguard 380 in a "concealed carry" holster that is made by De Santis. It's getting pretty stretched out. It's the type that clips to my pants where the gun itself is on the inside. I'd like to find some suppliers of "concealed carry" holsters that are designed specifically...

Reciprocal handgun laws [ 6 Answers ]

Does anyone know of a credible site that posts reciprocal handgun states for valid permit carriers from Indiana? I am asking because I want to be in accordance with the law while travelling from Indiana on vacation this summer. The Indiana State Police have been less than helpful with this...

Handgun Possession Law [ 20 Answers ]

My wife bought a gun (shotgun) for personal protection and protecting her livestock from being killed by predators. I am an ex-convict from some stupid stunts 35 years ago, can I get in trouble from her having this in our home? She also wants a 22 Hornet, both are single shot.

View more questions Search