Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    grinch01 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 11, 2011, 10:50 PM
    Salty film on dishes
    My washer seems to leave a slty, cloudy residue on my dishes. Also I can't get dishwasher to work unless I push the water heat/ no heat dry alternately twice. How can I fix this issue?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jul 12, 2011, 08:53 AM

Your screen at the bottom of the machine needs cleaned out as this is where the food debris collect and get redeposited back onto your dishes during the wash and rinse cycles. You have to use a screwdriver to unscrew the screws holding this plastic screen onto the bottom of the tub and then take your hand and carefully scoop out the food debris.

And as far as the second problem I have no clue. You can try testing the door latch switch to see if that is going bad or adjust the door latch to see if that will cure the problem.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jul 12, 2011, 11:27 AM
    Residue of this nature usually infers a clogged pump or lower screen and water is not circulating well. Try running the DW a time or 2 without detergent and see if it clears up. Look under the spray arm and make sure the screen is clean. Don't overload detergent. Not sure about the other issue although they don't appear related.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jul 12, 2011, 07:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ma0641 View Post
    Residue of this nature usually infers a clogged pump or lower screen and water is not circulating well. Try running the DW a time or 2 without detergent and see if it clears up. Look under the spray arm and make sure the screen is clean. Don't overload detergent. Not sure about the other issue although they don't appear related.
    The lower screen is clogged. I know this situation quite well as I tend to clog up my lower screen all the time. Recently I was trying to melt off masking tape off lid tops of freezer containers and clogged my DW up real good. I used a combo of Dawn detergent and regular bleach and melted all that goo off and machine works fine now. I did have to get all the gluey mess out of the lower screen area and take apart the spray arm and clean that out as well. Am still amazed my GE Nautilus still works. It's much quieter now when it does a load though. Not sure if I got all the goo out.

Usually food particles after awhile will build up regardless of how fussy you are when rinsing off dishes. The new DW's I'm told by Lowe's all come with built in disposals in them nowadays. Was going to get a new machine if I could not unclog mine.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jul 13, 2011, 09:36 AM
    Comment on twinkiedooter's post
    Yes, the newer ones have a food grinder in them.Brian

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Salty taste [ 2 Answers ]

Hello Today I took a drink of water and it tasted unbearably salty. I had my mom and dad try it and it didn't taste salty at all to them. Could there be something wrong?

Film on dishes after rinse [ 1 Answers ]

The dish washer leaves a film on the dishes and silverware after the rinse cycle. Tried all sorts of cleaners and different cycles but to no avail.

View more questions Search