Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bettyp2k8 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jul 11, 2011, 02:32 PM
    Can I file a motion to vacate final judgement from Sallie Mae?
    Can I file a motion to vacate final judgement from Sallie Mae. I was not served because the summons was delivered to an address that does not belong to me. I am aware because it's on my credit report. Thanks in advance.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 11, 2011, 03:03 PM

Yes, if you can improper or insufficient service you can file a Motion to vacate the judgment.

The "other side" will, of course, attempt to prove that service was sufficient. It is NOT mailed; it is personally served. They will present an Affdavit of some sort and you will counter that it never reached you.

So you are saying you were also never notified of the Judgment?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jul 11, 2011, 03:09 PM
    You can file, but might lose.
    As has been pointed out elsewhere here, the court will likely say that you found out about the judgment, so don't have a case. Also did you keep your creditor informed of where you lived when you moved?
    If there was something unfair about the judgment or you really have a valid reason for not knowing you owed, please answer below, and maybe people can help you.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 11, 2011, 03:25 PM

As I read this you just found out about a default judgment from a credit report. That you previously were totally unaware you were being sued.

If so, yes you can file a motion to vacate. You might even get it. But that's only a delaying tactic. You will be properly served before you leave the courthouse. So then what do you do?

Jul 11, 2011, 05:59 PM
    The address noted on the court docs is not an address I have ever lived at. I have prepared a motion to vacate based on not properly being served.

Jul 11, 2011, 06:02 PM

Ok so what are you going to do when they properly serve you?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 11, 2011, 06:28 PM

First is there any reason for them to believe you lived there. Where you visiting that address, was it an address of a close friend.

And how do you know it was delivered to a wrong address ?
    I assume you looked at the court records.

Jul 13, 2011, 01:51 AM
    Correct. I simply sent a dispute no knowledge to equifax and it was removed, but it still remains in my transunion. Will it auto update or should I dispute with transunion as well?

Jul 13, 2011, 02:57 AM

You have to dispute with each credit bureau separately.

I'm actually surprised Equifax removed it since the record is accurate. You do have a judgment against you. Until its vacated they shouldn't remove it.

You still haven't answered what you will do when they properly serve you.

Jul 13, 2011, 03:03 AM
    I don't know what I will do yet. Still researching.

Jul 13, 2011, 03:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bettyp2k8 View Post
    I don't know what I will do yet. Still researching.
    Is the debt yours? Do you owe the money?

Jul 13, 2011, 03:12 AM
    Honestly it's a student loan and it probably is but I'm not sure about the amount though?

Jul 13, 2011, 03:14 AM
    So are u saying they may place it back on my credit report?

Jul 13, 2011, 03:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bettyp2k8 View Post
    So are u saying they may place it back on my credit report?
    Yes, If they took it off it was probably pending an investigation. If Sallie Mae can confirm the debt and the judgment, they will put it back.

I would try to work out a settlement.

Jul 13, 2011, 03:21 AM
    I won't be able to settle in the amount. I may ask for payment arrangement and see if it will be granted. Just don't know if it's too late.

Jul 13, 2011, 03:25 AM

When I said settle, I meant for a lesser amount or to setup a payment plan. You make an offer under the proviso that if they prove the debt is your you are willing to work out something.

Jul 13, 2011, 07:13 AM
    Comment on ScottGem's post
    So what your saying is that... if the debt is validated I may be able to work out a payment plan with the creditor once the judgemnt is heard before a judge.

Jul 13, 2011, 09:03 AM

What I'm saying is that, if you know they can prove the debt, a judge will reaffirm the judgment. But if you arrive at a settlement before it goes back to court, you can avoid having the judgment reaffirmed.

Once they have a judgment, they have less of an incentive to settle, since they have the legal means to collect.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Right To File A Motion To Vacate Default Judgement [ 7 Answers ]

Hey, I need to know if I still have time to file a "Motion to vacate default judgement". In the first judgment I received it said I did not show up after being notified. I never received notice and did not sign any certified mail. The first date is 9/10/2007. I received a Final Judgment...

Motion to vacate final judgement [ 2 Answers ]

On 04/11/2010, I received a letter in the mail stating "Default Final Judgement" with all the signatories on it. On 04/12/2010 I went to the Miami Dade court house (Circuit Court) to find out what this was all about and they gave me the file. I was being sued by Amex for not paying the bill. I...

How to file a motion to vacate default judgement in Pa [ 11 Answers ]

I received the papers stating that I was being sued in June... 3 days later I received a letter stating that a hearing was scheduled in Nov. so I never answered the summons (if that's what it is called)... I was under the impression that I had a hearing... I called to confirm my hearing date and...

I would like to file a motion to vacate a renewal of judgement [ 3 Answers ]

I would like to file a motion to vacate a renewal of judgement. It is from California and I live in Florida. Do I need an attorney or can I file this myself? Where do I get the proper docuemts and where can I obtain the education to file properly? The judgemnt comes from a suit that I should...

How do you file a motion to vacate a judgement [ 3 Answers ]

A summons came to my dads house, mind you I haven't lived there since 2001. My divorce lawyer is taking action against me for some contract issues. I dropped my case and worked things out. My case was dropped in 2005, she got appointed to judge, now after she is no longer judge, she filed , I never...

View more questions Search