Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    eddie5498 Posts: 25, Reputation: 2

Jul 11, 2011, 12:11 PM
    Were my expectations too much of a friend on holiday ?
    I recently went away with a male friend who I twice crossed the line with in the past ( 5 years ago ). The hol came about as I said to someone I would like to go away but not on my own so he overheard me and said he would come with me for 10 days.

First night there we drank too much and we were in a round , round for round. On the last round he bought his own drink and didn't buy me one and I felt embarrassed when I couldn't find my money to buy a drink . Prior to this he had got angry with me for changing my mind over what drink I wanted and said the barman had got into trouble cos of my indecision ( he hadn't ). I felt as though he thought I embarrassed him by my indecision as he went on for about 10 minutes over it. I said does it really matter in the large scheme of things. During the rest of the week he picked fault with the way I answered a question and the way I ate my food to which I ended up telling him in a half hearted way to f off.

On the second day he went to the pool on his own spontaneously and I went out alone all day and we were OK but next day he didn't want to come to breakfast with me and I went alone and he went and did his own thing by the pool. I went and did my own thing in the afternoon as he seemed to be doing his own thing. The next day he said what are you up to today and got himself ready for sunbathing again and went by the pool.

Most days he asked me what I was doing that day ( we had 2 weeks )

We met up at night for a meal but it seemed like we were avoiding each other.

We changed rooms at his request and he freaked out when they offered us a double room, and also freaked out when one of the local people offered to take a photo of him with me.

He went to bed by ten at night and so did I ,as he told me that on hols he didn't stay up late.

If we planned to go out at he night he rarely waited for me but walked ahead , not with me.

In the end I asked if he was worried that I had other designs on him and he said no and I asked if he was seeing someone at home and he has been. I said I just felt that he didn't have the laugh with me and enjoy himself as mates that he could have done.

I thought I had made him off colour with me on the first night as I was angry about him not including me on the round when it was his turn and also for picking on me in the pub.

All sounds trivial but just felt as though by saying what are you up to every day that I had to scarper . Eventually he came on a bus trip to a beach and on a boat trip but was bored with the trip and said he was all tripped out.

He wouldn't drink with me and went alone for a few beers and it ended up with me in one pub and him in the other or out at different times.

We were only friends but I think I expected that it would be more natural and he would stick with me a bit more in terms of exploring the place.

I wandered about a bit on my own and got hassled by Turkish men and I felt the difference between being in a relationship and being just friends. Were my expectations too much in that I thought he wold stick by me a bit more and was it my fault that it didn't work out as well as I expected. I had really looked forward to it , bit my tongue for 2 weeks about his continued mean ness and selfishness , ( frightened to death he had to by me a drink and left me with the hotel bill that he drank most of as well as the parking at the airport but felt lonely and sad throughout.

Have bigger worries with mum ill and think I just have to put it down to experience, don't feel like I have been away.

If anyone thinks worth answering as know it sounds petty but would value an opinion . I still feel bad it didn't work out as said.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 11, 2011, 12:25 PM

I think this is one of those "what did you expect?" situations. He's a former sexual partner. I don't know (and I guess you don't either) if he thought that relationship would resume on this trip.

On one hand he was to be your travel companion/friend and only that. On the other hand you expected him to buy you drinks, go out with you, not take side trips or adventures without you.

I don't think you can have it both ways.

You didn't know his drinking habits before the trip? No one told you, you didn't observe how much he drinks, these were not his habits years ago?

I think the problem is that you had no clear cut understanding of what your relationship would be (friends, friends with benefits, companions) BEFORE the trip and for whatever reason he did whatever he wanted to do ON the trip.

Would I be upset? Sure. Can I understand what happened? Yes.

And a side note - I NEVER went on a trip (even an overnight) with someone of the opposite sex because every time someone I knew did just that it turned into a problem.

I had my hands full at conventions. I didn't need to add problems on vacations to that.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jul 11, 2011, 12:26 PM
    I'm sorry, but this is just a long string of uneventful little events that mean nothing to the reader. Please try again, without the daily routine, and summarize the relationship and your feelings. You start with a cryptic 'crossed the line' years ago and yet never say if it was a fight or sex or what. We aren't THERE. We don't know either of you, if this is two buddies or two gay men who don't know how to approach each other, or what.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Expectations theory [ 0 Answers ]

Assumhe that the real risk free rate is 2% and that the maturity risk premium is zero. If the one year bond yield is 5% and the 2 year bond yield is 7% what is the 1 year interest rate that is expected for year 2?

Expectations in a hotel [ 1 Answers ]

Salary expectations [ 4 Answers ]

I have an interview about salaries in UK as a nurse. I donīt know have any knowledge. Please help. Tnx

Unrealistic Expectations? [ 2 Answers ]

We are serious buyers. We have preapproval for significantly more than we are looking to actually spend, but a lot of flexibility. We found 2 houses. They are essentially the same house. One is in much better shape than the other. Both are short sales. We put in an offer on both, offering...

Got holiday tickets not paid for holiday [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I really hope someone can help me. I booked a holiday in Feb and only paid low deposit. Then due to finaces I did not pay anymore so could not go. This morning the holiday tickets (flight and accommodation ) arrived. I went on the website to try and pre-book the flight seats and it let...

View more questions Search