Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Rizzos1090 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2011, 12:14 AM
    Rent a car in Calgary, without credit card?
    We are looking to rent a Mini van with cash, but just accepts credit cards on all agencies that we were call.. My grandpa lost his credit card and we can't do anything to rent a car. Anyone knows where we can rent a car with cash or debit?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 10, 2011, 05:01 AM

A car rental cannot be accomplished anywhere without a credit card. A credit card is a surety for the rental company. You are taking a car that is worth a considerable amount of money. I hope your grandfather took necessary precautions when he lost his card. Did he or you call the credit card company to inform them of the lost?

Edit: I should have stated this is for Canada not US.See my latest post.

Tick
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 10, 2011, 07:25 AM

Actually that is not quite true, here in Atlanta there are several places that rent cars without credit cards, I have one just a couple miles from my home ( they advertise that fact)

Also there were others that will use a debit card, although there is a large deposit ( around 500 - to 750 dollars) plus the rental car fees.

This web site shows a few locatoins that allow this
    Bnm.com.

Enterprise here in Atlanta has always allowed me to
    Expert

Jul 10, 2011, 07:47 AM

This information is from the Thrifty.com website. Please note at bottom that debit cards may not be accepted outside the US.\

No Plastic -- What You Need to Know When Renting a Car

If you're thinking about renting a car, but you don't have a credit card, things can get a little tricky. Not to say that it's impossible, but it can be a major obstacle.

The problem: Renting a car to someone with no credit card is risky for rental car companies. Not having a credit card is a red flag that you may be a credit risk. Allowing you to drive off in a pricey vehicle is not something they're comfortable with, especially since they may be the ones who lose out.

Of course, your credit may be excellent and you many just prefer not to use a credit card. Rental car companies are starting to understand that, so many are offering you the option of paying with a debit card instead. Here are some important things to keep in mind if you do plan on renting this way:

Logo requirements. While many rental car companies accept debit cards, many also require that the cards have a Visa or MasterCard logo.
    Expect a credit check. Some companies will perform a debit card check and credit inquiry to ensure that you have the proper funds. (Keep in mind, credit inquiries show up on your credit report, and too many inquiries can actually lower your credit score.)
    Be patient. The process of paying with a debit card will likely be a longer one. It takes time to check your credit and insurance, verify your ID, etc.
    Prepare to pay a deposit. Often times, rental car companies place a hold on the account linked to your card. It's basically a deposit that they'll hold until you return the vehicle. These deposits can be $200 or more.
    Limited choice. No credit card often means you lose the option of renting luxury cars, SUVs or other specialty vehicles.
    Outside of the U.S. - Debit cards may not be accepted at locations outside of the United States. Please check terms and conditions for the specific country or location of rental.

While it's certainly not impossible to rent a car without a credit card, it is obviously more of a hassle. Unless you have no other option, using a credit card can really save time, money, and, perhaps, your sanity.
    earl237 Posts: 532, Reputation: 57

Dec 10, 2012, 06:02 PM
    I have a travel book about Canada and it says that it is all but impossible to rent a car without a credit card.
    Prepayanddrive Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2013, 01:10 PM
    - Prepay and Drive Away - No Credit Card Required Car Rental Agency Opportunity.
    http://www.slideshare.net/wfs1/prepay-and-drive-away-car-rental-agency-participation-opportunity-jan-2013
    Expert

Nov 9, 2013, 02:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Prepayanddrive View Post
    - Prepay and Drive Away - No Credit Card Required Car Rental Agency Opportunity.
    http://www.slideshare.net/wfs1/prepay-and-drive-away-car-rental-agency-participation-opportunity-jan-2013
    Ok how do you insure the car that is being taken away? Are they beatups or what?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

When applying for a credit card do you put rent or own if you live with your parents? [ 3 Answers ]

I have been asked if I rent or own my house, and how much the mortgage is.. I am not paying mortgage and my parents own my house, so I assume I would put own, and no payments, but I do not know for sure.. I only have options to put own or rent, and I HAVE to put the amount I pay, (from 0-2000 I...

Can credit union repo car because I am 4 months deliquent on credit card they issued me? [ 5 Answers ]

Can my credit union repo my car because I am several (3 or 4) months delinquent on my credit card from the same credit union? I have been on time on my car payment and they are refusing to post my car payment to my car loan because I am delinquent on my credit card. They are threatening to repo my...

Can lien be put against car for credit card debt? [ 1 Answers ]

I had surgery 2 years ago and couldn't work for a few months. Up until that point I had excellent credit and paid my bills and credit cards on time. I had to stop making payments on cars with high minimum payments just to keep ahead of my other obligations. I now have a lawyer harassing me over a...

Car buying/using credit card [ 7 Answers ]

I let my ex-room mate use my credit card to pay for a truck bought on e-bay. We had a verbal agreement that he would make the monthly credit card payments and in the end he would pay me for letting him use the credit card. I never signed anything or received anything from the car dealership. (the...

View more questions Search