Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    steve3048 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2011, 03:22 PM
    Does a misdemeanor assault and battery conviction ruin your chances of geeting a job?
    I was involved in a bar fight no one was hurt but me. I was charged with a battery but not convicted. I have never been in trouble with the law ever. Will yhis misdamenor destroy my chances of getting a job?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jul 9, 2011, 03:29 PM

Was there a conviction or an admission of guilt with fines or penalties ?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 9, 2011, 03:36 PM

N one area you say conviction, then in another line say you were not convicted ?

Sorry which is it,

But yes any conviction can hurt you get another job. The issue is that there are often 20 to 100 people trying to get any one job. So anyone that has convictions find it harder to get a job
    steve3048 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2011, 04:43 PM
    I was arrested for battery( a fight at a local bar) no one was hurt, I have not yet been to court, so I do not know the exact outcome of the case. But in the worst case senario if I had a conviction would it automatically exclude me from getting a job. Because of its violent nature?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 9, 2011, 04:55 PM

As long as it is a misdemeanor, it may not stop you from having a job, but it can keep you from getting it.

Most jobs don't have rules against misdemeanor convictions,
    bammer21 Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Jun 24, 2012, 07:13 AM
    I pled guilty to domestic violence misdemeanor and was able to return to work after being suspended without pay until my trial was over since it was a misdemeanor. However I was part of a company RIF two years later and when trying to gain new employment was virtually shut out. Sorry but corporations will not open themselves up to a 'negligent hiring' lawsuit by hiring someone with an assault conviction even if it's a misdemeanor. Best bet is to apply to Mom&Pop type businesses that might not ask or check about your background or do some kind of contract work like delivering flyers for a newspaper where you are an independent working for yourself. If you have a trade contract yourself out. Seriously corporations now do not risk hiring people with criminal backgrounds in general and specifically violent convictions. They have so many people applying now without criminal backgrounds why even look at an application from someone with a record? Sorry but that's the way it is. I would almost go so far as to say just lie on your application and say you have no background. If you get caught and chances are you will so what you weren't going to get the job anyway right? If you do slip by you get some money in your pocket at least until they do check you out. It's not against the law to lie on an application for a private business but don't do it with federal or some state government applications because that can get you in legal trouble.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I keep my New york realestate license with a misdemeanor conviction [ 0 Answers ]

Can I keep my New York state realestate license with a misdemeanor conviction?

Can a misdemeanor be a felony if one has two assault family violence charges [ 1 Answers ]

Can a misdemeanor become a felony if the person being convicted has two assault family violence charges and one pill conviction?

Past dismissed misdemeanor conviction/healthcare jobs [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am a registered dietitian working in New York for about ten years. Eighteen years ago, in Arizona, where I used to live, I was issued a written summons for misdemeanor shoplifting (not arrested or fingerprinted) with court date on it. I was young/dumb and had no lawyer, so showed up to court...

View more questions Search