Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    val1930 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2011, 11:33 AM
    What's the pattern in the sequences?
    Hi,
    I was attempting some psychometric tests and came across these 2 sequence questions that I couldn't figure out.

Sequence 1:
    2 ? 4 6 4
    What is the missing number?
    The answer is supposed to be 2 according to the book.

Sequence 2:
    9 16 178 ? 13259
    The answer is supposed to be 1025.

I can't understand the patterns in the 2 sequences so if anyone could help me out, that would be great :D

Thanks.

galactus Posts: 2,271, Reputation: 282
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2011, 06:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by val1930 View Post
    Hi,
    I was attempting some psychometric tests and came across these 2 sequence questions that I couldn't figure out.
    Sequence 1:
    2 ? 4 6 4
    The answer is supposed to be 2 according to the book.
    This is one solution that works, though it is rather abstract. These are the first 5 Euler Phi numbers of the first 5 composite numbers.

The Euler Phi function or Totient function, , is the number of coprimes less than or equal to a given number. The first 5 composite numbers are 4,6,8,9,10
    4 has 2 coprimes, 6 has 2 coprimes, 8 has 4 coprimes, 9 has 6 coprimes, and 10 has 4 coprimes.
    Thus, the sequence 2,2,4,6,4
    You can also find them by using

Where the p's are the prime factors of n.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sequences [ 2 Answers ]

Number sequences [ 1 Answers ]

Please Help!this Is My Daughter's Homework And She Is Stuck On The Last 3 Questions. What Are The Missing Numbers From These Sequences? 1: _ _ 8.0_ _ _ 3.6 _ 2: 107 _ _ 80 _ _ _ 44 3: _ _ 38 _ _ _ 90

Number sequences [ 1 Answers ]

Hey people just had a little argument with a room mate over the number sequence... 1, 8, 27,. it appears in iq tests and stuff and the answer is either 36 or 64... if someone is able to figure out and give me reasoning as I would like to clear up this little tiff... thanks heaps Chris

Sequences can't work this one out [ 3 Answers ]

Hi Can you help me find the sequence please 3... 27... 243 I have managed to do all my other homework apart from this

Sequences [ 1 Answers ]

I need to determine a sequence or maybe a series for the depreication of a new car, it depreciates by 20% in its first year, each succeeding year it depreciates by 10%. Assume the car is still in good working condition after 10 years. If the car cost $25000, calculate the value of the car after...

View more questions Search