Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LadySam Posts: 1,589, Reputation: 322
    Cats Expert

Jul 9, 2011, 07:54 AM
    Calling on some behavior help
    None of the Vets at my clinic are behavioralists, so I'm going to ask you guys for some tips here.
    For the most part our dogs are very well-behaved. No house training issues, they don't destroy things, the occasional shoe, but it is only a shoe if that is the worst they do, I see them as darn near perfect. They can be left to free roam the house unattended, and never with any issues when we return.
    I'm only having a problem with one of my guys (I say mine) actually my sons' dog.
    Quick background; we literally got him about an hour after he broke with the nasty diarrhea that has parvo written all over it.
    My son called me and said "can we take the dog?" Of course I said "yes get him to the clinic toot-sweet." Of course the agreement was we keep the dog.
    After his parvo treatment which was pretty intensive, he was hospitalized for about 8 days, pretty touch and go. And he had a couple other issues that had to be attended after that.
    He is a very healthy,1 1/2 year old neutered 68 # Pit, and I don't have to tell you how strong these guys are.
    The issue is that my son moved out, only until we are satisfied that Flea has an adequate place for exercise that will be safe for him will he leave my house, no questions asked. In the meantime, now that my son has gone he has taken me for his "wrestling partner." A game that he often played with my son, never biting, mostly boxing and tumbling around on the floor.
    If he sees me kneeling or squatting down to do something he will sometimes just push me over, never rough, he is actually very gentle about it. Typically a firm NO is good for anything, but not this. Any attempt on my part to roll out from underneath him or push him off me, I think he percieves as play.
    Mind you, I weigh all of 107 # on a good day. I simply don't have the strength to get him off me to let him know that he cannot do this with me. I simply have to do the best I can to get from underneath him and regain my ground with him.
    I hesitate to lie still until he gets bored because I'm afraid that he will see himself as "dominating me" which I do not want. And I don't want to get angry with him, he is such good natured, goofy boy that getting angry with him is almost impossible anyway.
    He would never hurt me, I know he is only playing, but are there any tips you can think of other than getting up and getting his attention and going straight to a sit command and allowing him time to calm down before he can be released from his sit? This ain't working.

tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 9, 2011, 08:46 AM

I am laughing reading your post because he weighs almost as much as you do, give or take a few pounds here and there, distributed in different places. I guess you know you just cant, absolutely can't have this type of play with a Pit; they are far to stubborn and strong willed to ever let this go. I can just see it when you are down picking something off the floor and he sees that as his opportunity for play time ! I guess you will have to get one of those picker uppers from the drug store that the elderly use so they don't have to bend down.

I have no constructive advice, sam, but had to reply because I had a chuckle and you made my morning. I hope Bella alias AB chimes in here. She would absolutely have some good advice having experience with this breed.

Good luck and don't drop anything !

Tick
    Cats Expert

Jul 9, 2011, 01:12 PM
    Glad I had a little something to do with brightening your day. As funny as it was in your head, it must be pretty funny to witness too. My daughter saw it once and had to run out the room before she peed her pants. She said looked rather like slo-mo replay. Yep, I told my son it was not a good to rough house with him. But show me a 21 year old that always listens to his mother. We've had pits in the past and know they can be very bull-headed. And really he is very good, listens, isn't pushy, his biggest fault is he is really nosey, got to be in everybodys business.

By the way, so far today I haven't dropped anything. Good thing, because I have misplaced my picker-upper thingee.
    Expert

Jul 9, 2011, 01:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by LadySam View Post
    Glad I had a little something to do with brightening your day. As funny as it was in your head, it must be pretty funny to witness too. My daughter saw it once and had to run out the room before she peed her pants. She said looked rather like slo-mo replay. Yep, I told my son it was not a good to rough house with him. But show me a 21 year old that always listens to his mother. We've had pits in the past and know they can be very bull-headed. And really he is very good, listens, isn't pushy, his biggest fault is he is really nosey, gotta be in everybodys business.

By the way, so far today I haven't dropped anything. Good thing, because I have misplaced my picker-upper thingee.
    ***laughing***cant stand typing LOL LOL unless it is ROFLMAS. I really hope you hear from our resident pitty expert. You actually remind me of a former member on here RubyPitBull and haven't heard from her in years.

Just reach up to his head and give him a big kiss: my brookie has features like a staffy but the rest of her doesn't match and she is wonderful and smart. My hubby insists on playing with her aggressively (doesnt take my advice) and she takes advantage of it every time. She knows, however, I am her alpha and doesn't pull the same stunt with me; she is a wonderful clean dog who has a big yard with lots of trees and invisible fencing (which she trained herself on, long story) love her much. She adopted me.

Tick

Hug, tick
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 9, 2011, 06:28 PM

LOL! I can just picture it.

I know he's just playing, but, as the alpha, you should be able to make him stop when you demand it.

Have you tried yiking or growling? That's worked for me in the past.

The problem I see here is that you can't get him off you. My usual advice would be to walk away when he starts this sort of play, and ignore him, but if he's on top of you and you can't walk away, that's a problem.

He needs to know that this sort of behavior is not something you'll ever tolerate. A yike or growl may get him off you. If it does, then walk away and ignore him. Distract him with something else, like a toy. If he continues the behavior, ignore him again (no talking, no eye contact, and if he follows you turn your back to him and walk away).

He wants attention. All dogs do. If he realizes that this particular behavior won't get him the attention he wants, it will stop being worthwhile. :)

In the meantime, take some pictures. ;)
    Expert

Jul 10, 2011, 08:09 AM

I know alty is right, but isn't it a shame we have to act and sound like them to make them stop ! Especially when we are their human alpha... gosh... yes take some pictures Sam. :)

I have used 'Yikes" before but Brook is only about 40 lbs. The sound does actually make her stop and think that maybe she is hurting me.

Tick
    Cats Expert

Jul 10, 2011, 03:06 PM
    Hmmm, Yikes or growling, that actually sounds pretty promising, I think it would get his attention. I actually considered the growling once, but wasn't sure if he would see it as a challenge. So alas, I just continued to struggle out from underneath him and instantly make him sit and stay. I'll give it shot. I've never really thought of taking pictures, but if I could get it on video! I got to admit myself, it is kind of funny, he's just so heavy and the whole time trying to give me kisses.
    Trying to stay upright,
    Thanks
    I'll let you know how it goes
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 10, 2011, 08:02 PM

I'd try the yikes first. Make it believable, sound like a dog. The growling is something I'd save if the yikes don't work. The most important part is to ignore him after he gets off you, or walk away before he can pin you down. Right now he thinks it's okay, probably because you can't help but laugh when he does it, because it is funny, and you know it's all in play.

Video would be great, but I'm hoping you don't have the chance to take that video, because the advice given has worked. :)
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jul 10, 2011, 09:57 PM

I'm hopeless with behavior problems but I can vouch for growling, I do it to Brody when he goes to do something naughty, he backs off rather quickly and gives me a look of 'what the heck?'
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Jul 11, 2011, 05:50 AM

Haha! I have a jerk... err I mean a young pup at my house too. He is an American bulldog/staffy mix, he started being my parents pup, but has since made him home in mine. He is about 7 months old and weighs close to 70# now too.He likes to play the same type of game, but with my 3 year old. The first thing you need to do is establish alpha. If he is not taking your "NO's" seriously then he isn't respecting you as the leader. So to start, no more on the couch or in your bed. Any time he is eye level with you is a chance for him to see himself as equal (this also means no more sitting on the floor to pet him).

I would also make sure you are first in and first out of a door, I would make sure you eat first, and not let him demand for things. When you feed him, pet him, walk him anything that has to do with him, make him sit for several seconds before hand. This is the protocol's for relaxation and deference. Just another key in helping you establish alpha.

I would try the yiking or the yelping as well. But if he knows the word no, and it's not working, it's unlikely that any other words will work. Of course there should be no more tug or war type games, no more rough housing, no more games where a "winner" is established. It wouldn't hurt to brush up on some basic commands at this point as well. I would work with him on his sit, down and stay, a few 5 minute intervals each day is enough, that way when you have to bend over to pick something up you can give him a task to work in (down and stay).

While you are working on your down and stay, stand a few feet in front of him and bend down to pick something up, never taking your eyes off his body, when he gets up to start his game, you simply say "no" stand up and walk him back to where you had him laying to begin with, repeat your command, and start over. With each time doesn't move you praise like mad, offer a reward and continue on with your lesson.

I hope some of this helps, I am just at work right now, so my answer isn't very detailed. I hope to be able to add to this as my day slows down in the afternoon.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Jul 11, 2011, 05:56 AM

I am not a fan of growling, because, yes some dogs do see this is a challenge. A yikes or YIP might work better :)
    Emily94 Posts: 1,129, Reputation: 64
    Ultra Member

Jul 12, 2011, 10:18 AM

Before you were to bend over, or get on the ground, could you tell him to sit and stay? Or would he still try wrestling?

Hunter used to do this when I was grabbing something out of the bottom cupboards (as I played with him on the floor), and telling him to sit and stay until I got what I needed worked just fine.
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Jul 12, 2011, 07:24 PM

Here's my advise -- Didn't read any other posts, so sorry if there is a repeat.

I don't think this is a dominance problem. Dominance problems are much more severe and there is a lot more tension with other things. Hes being a jerk, yes, but trying to become top dog? Doubt it.

In dog packs, there are the leaders and the dogs that follow. He is relatively young and is being a puppy. Does he know better? No. He is just testing the water to see what he can get away with and what he cant. In dog packs, you never see another dog jump on someone else's back without world war III happening. So I would say his behavior is just straight out rude ;)

To prevent this from happening, maybe eliminate the problem all together and put your dog away if you are doing a lot of work on the ground. Keep a good dog good. If you are doing work while on the ground, have your dog lay down next to you or sit quietly. You can start by giving treats and praise and once he gets it, start backing off. He is going to learn that this is the behavior you want, not the rough and tumble. If he jumps on you, jump up and with a firm voice tell him no. Let him know that this behavior is bad. Then ask him to do something you want. If you get overly frustrated with him, then put him away. Frustration only leads to worse behaviors, never good. You want to always redirect his bad behavior until he does something you like then stay on him! Its not going to be a quick fix, its going to take time to get him to listen to you, but it will work.

I own a pure American Pit Bull Terrier.. They will rule the roost if allowed, but they are very quick to follow. These dogs were bred to be great companion animals for people.

Hope you find something that works for you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Stop private prank calling [ 8 Answers ]

Hello: I would like to know if anyone has figured out how to show the number of someone that keeps making prank phone calls on a land line that has caller ID but the number shows up as a "private number". It is really disturbing. I have tWo babies and I am scared one of them might pick up and...

Strange behavior [ 9 Answers ]

We have 17 cats that get along pretty well. Once in a while there is a fight but one of our cats Chester who is about 5 years old is acting strange around Jackson, about 1 year old. It seems every time the 1 year old mewos or is vocal the 5 year old jumps on the one year old back and bites his...

My son's behavior [ 7 Answers ]

Hi My son is almost nine years old, he is so smart and gets A's in math and science, but B's in language. He is so sensitive and has a lot of warm emotions, but he simply doesn't respect me, specially when he gets mad. He usually gets mad when I ask him to do something or I ask him to start...

Behavior [ 2 Answers ]

Dear sir I want to know which of the followng is true and which is false about territorial behaviour in animals?please tell me why you say that and if it is possible give me an example too 1-it provides some protection from predators 2-increase intra-specific competition for food Thanks a lot

Behavior [ 3 Answers ]

Florida, Can anyone tell me how to go about getting a court order behavior order for my 17 yr daughter. She is currently not living at home and I need her to be here so we can access her for drug addiction and possible marchment act.

View more questions Search