Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    WMorg555 Posts: 105, Reputation: 1

Jul 8, 2011, 09:10 PM
    Power of attorney for mother
    I have power of attorney for my mother and I'm concerned that she is constantly inundated with offers of reverse mortgages and people trying to sell her things. She lives in a house that is hers and is paid for and I was wondering if there was a way to use my power of attorney to prevent her from being the victim of fraud such as being tricked into selling her house or signing up for a reverse mortgage. She suffers from mild dementia.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 9, 2011, 04:41 AM

Unless you are with he 24/7 then there is nothing you can do should she succumb to one of these people. Can she not live with you, or can she live in a retirement residence? If the house is sold, then there is no temptation for these people. Your POA only enables you to sign for her when she cannot carry on her business transactions herself, but you can't stop people from calling or visiting at the door. Unless of course, if you put up signs saying no solicitations or somesuch.

My profession is caring for seniors such as your mother, and I can tell you that this is a constant worry for many of the families.

Can you not find a reliable trustworthy caregiver to live with her to make sure she is safe mentally and physically?

Tick
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 9, 2011, 07:56 AM

Also if you take her to court and prove she is not able to care for herself, and her affairs and get appointed her guardian.

A Power of Attorney merely allows you to sign for her if she is not present or can not sign. You can not force her to do anything with it.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 9, 2011, 02:14 PM

If you are just about the home, then have her sell it to you and give her a life estate. Or add you as a joint tenant.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My mother is in Hospice care. Can Power of Attorney sign checks? [ 3 Answers ]

My mom is receiving Hospice care in the state of Oregon. Bills are coming in. Can my brother, who she designated as Power of Attorney in her Living Trust, sign her checks.

Power of attorney for health and estate for step mother [ 7 Answers ]

My husband has a step mother who became unable to care for herself in any way. She lives in Tucson and we live in NC. I need to know what we should do now... before my husband has to go out to Arizona to settle her estate. She has a home with a lean and is now in a hospital. She's about to be moved...

Sperm donner wants power of attorney over mother [ 2 Answers ]

Hello A very dear friend Kursten had a heart attack and is on life support. She is and only child and parents are passed. She has a daughter that is 11yrs old. The father of the child for some odd reason believes he has some power over what will happen to Kursten. They were never married and...

Power of Attorney? [ 2 Answers ]

I will most likely not be present when we close on our house. I want to handwrite a power of attorney and get it notarized. Will this be sufficient? Here is an example of what I will write: To Whom It May Concern: I, insert name, born on insert date with social security number insert...

View more questions Search