Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jbert Posts: 56, Reputation: 1

Jul 8, 2011, 06:08 PM
    Partial RMD made
    Our Mom passed, left 2 IRA's. The IRA's were distributed to 6 beneficiary accounts. WE found out that Mom had only a partial RMD taken out. For ease, let's say the RMD was $12000.00 and she had taken half. Now the 6 beneficiaries must make up the remaining $6000.00.

How do we handle form 5329 and I assume it can be taken with the
    1st year beneficiary RMD.

Thanks so much, I am so tired of googling.

JIM
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jul 11, 2011, 06:46 AM

If she failed to take the minimum required distribution when alive, then the executor should include form 5329 with her final 1040 income tax return. The amount of penalty due is paid out of the estate's assets (along with other income taxes due). So no, the beneficiaries do not "make up" for the penalty - the estate does.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What do I do about a bank levy that was made for a judgement made against me? [ 12 Answers ]

I have a large judgement made against me. I just found out that a levy was made on my bank account. I need to know what happens now. Is it possible to get any of that money back? How do I pay my bills now? Can it happen again? I have to assume that they will try to get all of my money all of the...

Collection agency still calling after payment agreement made & pymts being made [ 4 Answers ]

I have an outstanding bill with Hydro one in Ontario of 800.00 owing since 2003, with interest the bill has now doubled to 1600.00, I was unable to make payments on this bill due to financial reasons, but this past month & half I have been paying 100.00 /month to the collection agency, they are...

RMD from an inherited IRA [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, My minor boys inherited an IRA from my parents when they passed away. Last week I received a letter stating that they (Financial Institution) records indicating that the boys are not currently set up to receive systematic distributions. And if they do not take a distribution--it could...

View more questions Search