Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    czepp Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2007, 09:20 AM
    What is Ethernet/LAN? What do I use?
    I just ordered upgrade from dialup to broadband with AOL. They say I need a LAN connection. As I understand it this is same as ethernet, yes? Any way I don't have either on my PC (its old). Would a USB/ethernet adapter work or should I use a PCI ethernet card. I really don't know what all this means so any advice would be appreciated.
    Thanking you in advance.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jan 30, 2007, 09:42 AM
    You can buy a PCI Ethernet card. There are several types but the one you want is the most popular - 10Base-T (or mention that you are using an RJ-45 connector).
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 30, 2007, 09:44 AM
    Frankly I would not recommend going to broadband with AOL. The proprietary nature of their software has caused problems with using broadband through them.

You can get your broadband from a variety of carriers. You can then continue to use AOL at a discount.
    czepp Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2007, 09:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    Frankly I would not recommend going to broadband with AOL. The propietary nature of thier software has caused problems with using broadband thru them.

You can get your broadband from a variety of carriers. You can then continue to use AOL at a discount.
    Thanks. Ill keep that in mind.
    cajalat Posts: 469, Reputation: 66

Jan 30, 2007, 10:37 AM
    I'm with Scott on this. Stay away from AOL/Broadband services. Go with your own broadband provider like Scott mentioned.

Also, you asked if a USB ethernet will work. If you have a USB port then you can get one of those Linksys USB Ethernet devices and plug into your USB to get Ethernet. I have one of those and it works great.

Casey

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Interfacing ethernet to wireless LAN [ 3 Answers ]

Hello Dear, I am currently using ethernet connection.I have ethernet slot in my room.I want to make a wireless connection of 4 or 5 laptops with this available slot. How can I do this?What necessary products I will be requiring for this. Guide me, I am new in this field. Regards Imran

Ethernet Card [ 2 Answers ]

How do I find on my PC if I have an ethernet card installed on my PC?

Lan To Lan Internet Sharing Help! [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, Tnx for reading.. hope you can help me.. here is my question with all the information I can think.. I have 2 computers I'm using windows XP SP2 I don't have any router or switch My 1st computer have an internet connection with 2 lancards My 2nd computer have no internet connection with...

Ethernet cable [ 3 Answers ]

I am on orange broadband and I need to connect the ethernet cable from my livebox into my computer ,however I donot have an ethernet socket on my computer so is there another way of doing this .

LAN to LAN via Internet... [ 11 Answers ]

Hello, First hope that I'm not causing heaache for you... If not please continue... I'm building up another Domain(no forests and no trees), that domain will be in another location. So I'll have two local area networks, where each of them is in a totally different and distant...

View more questions Search