Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wyeth36 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 7, 2011, 07:22 AM
    Having problems identifying this rock
    Hi. When I originally got this rock, the woman told me it was barite (nope). Then they told me it was golden calcite? Then I looked and looked for a similar picture, and I think it's some kind of gypsum. It's sand colored, has rose petal shapes... I can't tell if it's dirty or not because I don't want to clean it—it's very soft. It has a white streak test, all the edges are flat, the luster may be pearly? There's a lot of detail that didn't show up in the pictures. It's a large, particularly heavy rock. I'd scared to do anything with it because it seems so soft. I know it was hanging out in this guys collection for awhile and got some dust and I'd really like to clean it. The pics were taken in natural sunlight.

Any ideas?

W
    Attached Images

J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 7, 2011, 07:59 AM

Gypsum rose...

Gypsum Rose, Barite Rose, Mineral

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Identifying painting [ 2 Answers ]

I have a oil painting, signed by artist Mabel and dated 1890. Can anyone please help identifying the artist, or any other helpful information.

Need help identifying movie [ 1 Answers ]

I saw it long time ago, and it really is bothering me, that I can't remember what it is. I only remember two scenes from it: Man goes into hotel room or similar place, can't remember. There's maid who offers him room services, blowjob being one of them. She tells the man to call, if he wants...

Help identifying painting [ 3 Answers ]

I have a painting that no one seems to be able to identify. Can anyone help?

Identifying Plants [ 7 Answers ]

In order to Identify a plant correctly one must know several key details about the plant. Describe its general structure. Is it a grass sedge rush fern flower vine shrub

Need help identifying a song! [ 2 Answers ]

I've had a song stuck in my head for about a month now and I've searched Google a dozen times, I've watched CMT Canada five times a day to see if I hear it again but nothing, as you've probably guessed it's a country song. I know a bit of the lyrics, but not much: - I'm not going to stand here...

View more questions Search