Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Jul 5, 2011, 05:38 PM
    Hermit Crabs.
    So, I have recently lost 90% of my tropical fish and now have a half empty 30 gallon with a completley empty 10 gallon. My pet store is selling Hermit Crabs. Does any one have any info they would care to share? Is 10 gallon tank enough? Special foods/diets? Bedding or tank bottom covering? Any help would be great. Would they be best in pairs or alone?
    Lyra123 Posts: 184, Reputation: 42

Jul 5, 2011, 05:49 PM

A 10 gallon tank is enough for a few hermit crabs. They need fresh water often and fed hermit crab cookies or pellets. You should "shower" them with a spray bottle of clean, cool or room temperature water once a day and bathe them by allowing them to sit in shallow, clean, room temperature water for 1 minute and then allow them to dry off before placing them back in their tank. Just like people, they each have their own personality. If given toys, yes they have hermit crab toys available, they will play. They like to climb and roam around. A nice treat for them is lettuce. They are social creatures, so have at least two. They like to bury their unfinished food, so you have to clean the bedding often. Good beddings are sand or fine pebbles. Have various sized shells available to them for as they grow.

Have fun!
    Dogs Expert

Jul 5, 2011, 05:58 PM

Awesome info!! Thanks a bunch! I have an old turtle slide which is about the size of a hand which hold water and then has a slide with bumps for easy access in and out, do you think this would be sufficient for a bathing area for them to bathe as they wish?

Also I spend many week ends camping in the summer, if there was an adequate water dish, would they be okay to leave for 2-3 days? Also do they eat live food?
    Dogs Expert

Jul 5, 2011, 05:59 PM

Oh, and should the water they are being sprayed with and fed be treated with water conditioners? I have high iron counts and well water.

Jul 6, 2011, 10:30 AM

With adequate food and water, they should be fine. That's a good idea for a bathing station, just be sure to change the water often! (Those little guys can make quite a mess)

I've never had a crab eat live food for me, but I've heard suggestions of meal-worms for live food. One thing I forgot to mention, they are omnivores, so they will eat a variety of foods including anything from freeze dried plankton to fruit to meat.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jul 8, 2011, 11:53 AM

I LOVE hermit crabs, had them when I was younger.

We just had fine gravel and sand in the bottom of the tank.
    Take-out lids are great for water dishes, the ones with a wide lip around them, they are only about a quarter of an inch deep, but it's enough for them to have some fun in the water.

You can buy glass shells for them too, they were never around when I had mine but they look so freakin' cool.

Jul 8, 2011, 01:32 PM

Shazamataz, Those do work great. So do old containers you can't find the lid for!

In reference to the picture: They look like little aliens sort of!
    Brianna01hermy Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2012, 09:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurora_Bell View Post
    Awesome info! Thanks a bunch! I have an old turtle slide which is about the size of a hand which hold water and then has a slide with bumps for easy access in and out, do you think this would be sufficient for a bathing area for them to bathe as they wish?

Also I spend many week ends camping in the summer, if there was an adequate water dish, would they be okay to leave for 2-3 days? Also do they eat live food?
    Yes if you give them pinkys (mice or baby rats who haven't opened their eyes) they can eat those. I know why because I also have a snake and he wouldn't eat the pinkys so I gave'em to the hermies and they ate them
    Brianna01hermy Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2012, 09:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyra123 View Post
    Shazamataz, Those do work great. So do old containers you can't find the lid for!

In reference to the picture: They look like little aliens sort of!
    Also with these shells they're easier to tell if they're a male or a female!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Penis Pimples? Or Crabs or herpes? [ 11 Answers ]

Hello, I am 18 male. I just found a pimple on my penile area. I popped the first one like nothing was going to happen. But a second on came and I didn't do nothing to it. Then While I was at work I guess My boxers scraped it off. They look like a pimple with white puss. And I just started...

Frozen Crabs & the Blonde Stewardess [ 8 Answers ]

A lawyer boarded an airplane in New Orleans with a box of frozen crabs and asked a blonde stewardess to take care of them for him. She took the box and promised to put it in the crew's refrigerator. He advised her that he was holding her personally responsible for them staying frozen,...

I have red blotches on pubic aerea, is this crabs? [ 1 Answers ]

Sometimes they itch but not always. I thought it was heat rash so I treated it with monkey butt, hydrocortisone cream . It has not gone away and I have had it for over a week now.

Herpes in the pubic region or maybe crabs [ 1 Answers ]

HI, I am a young male still in my teens, a month or so ago I had intercoarse with a young lady and about 10 days later I noticed what I thought may be herpes I developed what I thought was the flu but I had no temperature I just felt very run down, but I had just started a sport season and thought...

Pet Crabs. [ 4 Answers ]

I was thinking about getting one pet crab for a large bowl, but I am not sure exactly what to look for... answers to a few of these questions would be helpful... 1. what are some small freshwater crabs I can get? 2. what should I feed it? 3. Are there any important things it needs in its tank? 4....

View more questions Search