Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    earl237 Posts: 532, Reputation: 57

Jul 5, 2011, 07:12 PM
    Even experts said that 1st degree murder was a long shot, but I'm surprised the jury didn't convict her of either or both of the manslaughter and child abuse charges. The evidence seemed strong and juries tend to convict defendants who are proven liars and who don't act in the perceived "correct" way that a grieving parent should act. It's a shame that she will walk while many innocent people like the West Memphis Three in Arkansas who have been in jail and death row since 1993 when it is obvious to anyone who has followed the case that they are totally innocent. I hope they get freedom someday soon.
    Enigma1999 Posts: 2,223, Reputation: 1077
    Welbeing Expert

Jul 5, 2011, 08:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post

If one of my kids died, I'd die!
    That's because you are a good parent. My feelings on that are the same.

She doesn't deserve freedom, but she's getting it, and it makes me wonder how many others get away with murder. That's what happened here. Casey got away with murder.

Very sad! Very!

Our system is so jaded, and is so very wrong.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 5, 2011, 08:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Enigma1999 View Post
    Our system is so jaded, and is so very wrong.
    There's nothing wrong with the system. It works very well. There was too much circumstantial evidence, and the prosecution went down the wrong path.
    Welbeing Expert

Jul 5, 2011, 08:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    There's nothing wrong with the system. It works very well. There was too much circumstantial evidence, and the defense went down the wrong path.
    Which upsets me very much!
    Welbeing Expert

Jul 5, 2011, 08:53 PM

WG, after I reread the last few posts, and mine, I realized that what I said about our system, came out wrong. That's not at all what I meant. Actually, how you put it, is exactly how I feel.

I spoke too soon without thinking how I wanted to say it. Its been happening to me all day long with my posts. Off day, I guess.
    southamerica Posts: 667, Reputation: 400

Jul 5, 2011, 08:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Enigma1999 View Post
    WG, after I reread the last few posts, and mine, I realized that what I said about our system, came out wrong. That's not at all what I meant. Actually, how you put it, is exactly how I feel.

I spoke too soon without thinking how I wanted to say it. Its been happening to me all day long with my posts. Off day, I guess.
    I know exactly how you feel.

The problem here is that, somehow, the prosecution was so off that the jury couldn't convict Casey. Oh to be a fly on the wall in that jury room. HOW they are going to sleep tonight is beyond me...

That prosecution is tragic, poor little Caylee.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 5, 2011, 09:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by southamerica View Post
    Oh to be a fly on the wall in that jury room.
    I look forward to hearing/reading the dissections of the verdict and comments from the jury. I always wanted to be a criminal defense attorney in a John Grisham novel.
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Jul 5, 2011, 10:41 PM

The case has not been big over here, but can I ask, if the mother is being set free and not being done for murder, who is?

The child is still dead, if they did not have enough evidence to put the mother away, who are they looking at now? Or willl it become a cold case?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 5, 2011, 11:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by redhed35 View Post
    willl it become a cold case?
    Yup. No one else is under suspicion at this point.
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Jul 5, 2011, 11:25 PM

That's terrible.

I guess in this case justice is blind, however, there's always divine justice, if the mother did murder her child she will never rid that stain, no matter how hard she tries, that's the stuff of nightmares and dark nights of the soul.
    QLP Posts: 980, Reputation: 656

Jul 6, 2011, 02:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post
    Okay, as promised, I'm keeping this conversation here.

Truth is, I'm mad. I'm mad that Cassie/Cassey/murderer, is free.

I don't know what to say other then to say that I'm shocked.

Who parties when their child dies, even if it's an accident? Who covers up an accidental drowning? Who dumps their child in the woods, puts duct tape on her mouth, a heart sticker on the duct tape, and then a few days later enters a hot body contest at a bar?

They claim she was molested. So what? I was molested! Both my kids are alive!

If one of my kids died, I'd die!

That's enough evidence for me.
    Exactly. If I had been a juror I wouldn't give a fig exactly what charge she was technically guilty of she sure as hell was guilty of something evil.

It makes my blood boil when the defense come up with molestation during the defendent's own childhood as an excuse. Many many people have been molested, myself and friends I know included. Without exception the people I know are lovely compassionate caring people whose experiences have made them more, not less, likely to try their damndest to keep their own and all kids as safe and happy as possible.

There's just no excuse. Some people are just evil and selfish to the bone.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jul 6, 2011, 02:27 AM

Fla rules are pretty strict on charges. I think the judges instructions gave them no option to convict on a lesser charge. This was a clear case of prosecutorial over-reach. Most times they get away with it . Sometimes the juries follow the letter of the law.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Jul 6, 2011, 04:29 AM

I can only hope her own personal hell is so horrible, any jail would pale in comparison.
    88sunflower Posts: 1,207, Reputation: 462
    Ultra Member

Jul 6, 2011, 05:13 AM
    Hey guys. Alty pointed me here from Facebook.

I was at a BBQ for the holiday and they had the TV on in the garage with the trial. One friend of mine feels she was using chloroform to make her sleep so she could go out more. Then she possibly used too much which killed her.

That sounded logical to me. But I honestly don't know exactly how chloroform works nor do I care. But I do feel for one there will be some sort of suicide resulting from this case. If she doesn't commit suicide from all the negative press and stress her new life will have for walking free then I am sure one of the jurors will. If those people involved in the choice to let her walk free don't realize the mistake they made and they can sleep at night then I hope they rot in hell. Did I just say that? I am sure it was beyond stressful for them but my gosh can't they see her actions? I know we all agree here. It just amazes me.

I have a friend on Facebook who instantly wrote that the system was right letting her go and it was all good and he was glad to see how the system is working. I started to reply in rage. I had a few choice words for him. But then I stopped and just moved past it. We all have our own opinions on this. But I know the majority will rule that lying sl-t should rot in prison. Suicide is to good for her.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 6, 2011, 05:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 88sunflower View Post
    Hey guys. Alty pointed me here from Facebook.

I was at a BBQ for the holiday and they had the tv on in the garage with the trial. One friend of mine feels she was using chloroform to make her sleep so she could go out more. Then she possibly used to much which killed her.
    Chloroform is a controlled substance; did that suggestion come up in the trial because I don't know where she would have got it to use that readily. Now if you go for sleeping pills, then I would think that would be plausible, and just a 'little bit more then necessary' would kill a toddler.

She is still to be charged on a few counts so is not out of court and free yet. She has been in prison for three years already and will do more prison time under the other charges. I don't know where she is spending her time, but usually people who abuse or kill children don't last long in the penal system and are sometimes dispatched by other inmates.

Tick
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 6, 2011, 05:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 88sunflower View Post

I have a friend on Facebook who instantly wrote that the system was right letting her go and it was all good and he was glad to see how the system is working. I started to reply in rage. I had a few choice words for him. But then I stopped and just moved past it. We all have our own opinions on this. But I know the majority will rule that lying sl-t should rot in prison. Suicide is to good for her.
    My hat is off to you, sunny, you showed great control in letting that go. It must have been difficult. I only wish some of us could do it that readily. That 'send' button is sometimes too tempting and once it goes, well, it goes.

Tick
    Dogs Expert

Jul 6, 2011, 05:56 AM

I agree, that must have been hard Sunny, I don't know if I could have held the same self control. You know, who cares what she used to make her little one go to sleep, it's all disgusting. That poor girl. How could anyone sit there and think she is not guilty? Even her own mother believed she was guilty. My mother and I haven't always had the best relationship, but I know my mom is always on my side and she is also the person who knows me the best. If I did this disgusting crime, she would know. Her mother knew, just like we all know, that cow did it.

I didn't want to give up my carefree life either, but heck, that's life! Nothing is more important to me than my daughter and her well being. Yea there were lots of times I wanted to go out with friends, but being a single mom did not allow that. It makes me wonder why she just didn't give up custody? Give her to her parents, an aunt, a friend ANYONE! It makes me want to have a safe haven in my house. I wonder how you would go about doing that.

You're right Sunny, suicide is too good for her. She doesn't deserve to get off that easy. She deserves to relive her horrible actions every day and be tormented by the public. Sadly she probably thinks in her mind she is innocent.
    Dogs Expert

Jul 6, 2011, 05:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    Chloroform is a controlled substance; did that suggestion come up in the trial because I dont know where she would have got it to use that readily. Now if you go for sleeping pills, then I would think that would be plausible, and just a 'little bit more then necessary' would kill a toddler.

She is still to be charged on a few counts so is not out of court and free yet. She has been in prison for three years already and will do more prison time under the other charges. I dont know where she is spending her time, but usually people who abuse or kill children dont last long in the penal system and are sometimes dispatched by other inmates.

tick
    I believe they mentioned she was in P.C (protective custody).
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 6, 2011, 04:27 PM

Just a quick note. Media talked to one of the jurors, I believe it was juror number 3, and that juror said that the verdict made him/her sick. So why not guilty? If the verdict isn't what you wanted, why agree?

I really believe that the jury felt that she is guilty, they just didn't feel she was guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.

Someone asked if they're looking at anyone else for the death of Caylee. No, they're not. Casey admitted that she was there when Caylee died. She lied in the beginning, saying Caylee was kidnapped by someone known as Zanny. That person doesn't exist. Casey sad in jail for three years and now claims that the death was accidental, Caylee drowned in the family pooil, George found the body, Casey was there, and George (the dad) convinced Casey that she'd go to jail if she reported the accidental drowning.

We're supposed to believe that Casey (the narcissist party girl) , sat in jail for 3 years, kept telling everyone that Caylee was kidnapped, without telling anyone that it was an accident, which isn't chargeable? Worse, we're supposed to believe that her father, George, allowed his daughter to go on trial, face the death penalty, for something he knew was an accidental drowning?

Bull!

I guess the jury believed it though, because Casey is not guilty.

If they don't believe she's guilty of murder, then they have to believe that Caylee drowned accidentally, somehow ended up with chloroform in her body, duct tape on her mouth, stuffed in two garbage bags, a laundry bag, put in the trunk of mommies car, and dumped like garbage in the woods, while her mother partied it up, hid for 31 days, and then claimed she was kidnapped. After all, that's how all accidental drownings happen.

Yup, that makes perfect sense. NOT! :(
    Welbeing Expert

Jul 6, 2011, 04:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurora_Bell View Post
    I can only hope her own personal hell is so horrible, any jail would pale in comparison.
    Watch... She'll most likely have a made for television movie come out and someone like Jennifer Love Hewitt will play her part. :rolleyes:

Unbelievable!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Death Certificate - Cause of Death Recorded Incorrectly [ 8 Answers ]

Is it common practice to write down on the death certificates the wrong reason for cause of death? And if so, why do doctors do that? This happen to my dad a few weeks ago and I'm just trying to understand. Thanks in advance, Scott

Toddler [ 6 Answers ]

My 2 year old has been having problem breathing during sleep, sometimes he will stop breathing for like 6 seconds an then take a big gasp for air or cry. His pediatrician thought it wasn't a problem. Today I noticed he is foaming to the mouth while sleeping. I feel he is getting worst. Do you...

Death and credit card death. [ 3 Answers ]

My father recently died leaving enough money to pay off most of his debts,but not all.I contacted those credit card companies that there no funds to pay and informed them of my father's death and that there were no assets to pay these debts.I soon received a letter (from american express) asking to...

Death and credit card death. [ 1 Answers ]

My father recently died leaving enough money to pay off most of his debts,but not all.I contacted those credit card companies that there no funds to pay and informed them of my father's death and that there were no assets to pay these debts.I soon received a letter (from american express) asking to...

View more questions Search