Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bEaUtIfUlbRuNeTtE Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 112
    Ultra Member

Jul 5, 2011, 07:25 AM
    Massachusetts Harassment Order
    How are harassment/restraining orders served to an individual in the state of Massachusetts?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 5, 2011, 08:16 AM

They have to be personally served.

Is that what you are asking? This leads me to believe that the Police serve the actual Order if the person is not present in Court: "A restraining order is valid as soon as a judge issues it, but violation of a restraining order cannot be prosecuted unless the abuser knew about the order when the violation happened. For this reason, when applying for a restraining order, if the defendant is not present, it is very important to provide the court and/or the police with any information that will help locate the defendant.

If the order is violated, police should be notified and the victim should tell the police anything that leads her to believe the defendant knew about the order. Regardless of what court issues the order, it is valid throughout Massachusetts, and in most other states, until the expiration date listed. If a victim moves out of Massachusetts, some states require registration of the order with the local police department."

http://www.crimevictimlaw.com/restrain/restrain.html

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Massachusetts Law on modifications of child support order [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I am hoping to get some help in questions that I have. My original order in court was for $130.00 dollars per week, my ex had gone to court for a modification, the court reduced the support to $95.00 per week because I had lost my job! My ex was to pay for health insurance and he did for a...

Harassment order [ 1 Answers ]

Hi! Everyone , What is the difference between a Temporary Restraining Order and a Harassment order. Appreciate the help.

Harassment Order [ 11 Answers ]

My husband and I are living in a rental home. I've asked him to leave but he won't; he basically says that he'll leave when he gets ready; in the meantime I'm in constant fear. I don't qualify the standard Restraining Order against my husband because he hasn't hit me, attacked me or threatened...

View more questions Search