Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cary2441 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2007, 12:06 AM
    Under slab drain repair
    By camera & detector I've had a broken line under the slab located. Since there is a break here, how likely is it that the whole line is at the point of needing replacement? Is rerouting the line around the house a viable option?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 30, 2007, 08:36 AM
    What kind of line is broken, sewer drain, hot water, supply? Rerouting might be an option in warm climate areas. However, you eventually need to reconnect to the existing system and that requires breaking concrete. Might as well break the concrete at the point of the break. The break is likely caused by settling rather than old age and deterioration. Slabs can easily crack over time especially if you have a high water table or sandy soil. You'll know when you get to the break.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 30, 2007, 08:42 AM
    "how likely is it that the whole line is at the point of needing replacement? Is rerouting the line around the house a viable option?"

When we have that problem we open up the slab, drain the house down and repair the leak. Rerouting's not a option. This might be a main instead of a branch that has a leak and you'll end up repiping all the branches that came off it. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Drainage pipe repair or bypass under slab [ 1 Answers ]

Our kitchen sink drainage pipe which leads to our basement (this pipe goes out to our drywell/cesspool) appears to be broken about 3 feet beyond our original foundation wall (where we have a basement) under a new kitchen area slab. Please suggest the best way to get this repaired. Do we need to...

Pipe repair under slab [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I own a 1 story home on a slab. Recently I've had trouble with the drain line that drains from the kitchen/laundry area. I rented a snake and broke the head off it and came back with clay mud on the end. I believe I have a broken pipe under the slab. The pipe is cast 1 1/2"-2" diameter. ...

Floor drain on slab [ 1 Answers ]

Good afternoon to all. Recently began to remodel a small bath on a slab. Problem. Bath is on a slab, it only has a shower and toilet. I have removed shower and would like to install a vanity and toilet only. All the walls are concrete block, and concrete slab floor. There was not vanity before and...

Shower drain repair [ 2 Answers ]

I believe my shower pan drain is leaking. When I step near the drain the thin washer between the shower base and the drain body squeezes out from under the drain lip. The base does give a little bit as I don't believe the shower drain nut was tightened enough before placing the shower base in...

Shower drain in slab [ 2 Answers ]

Can I build up the shower base and use elbows to route the shower drain to the right location, or do I have to rip the floor out, or custom build my own shower base... I believe it was placed for a tube, and I can't find any shower bases that the drain lines up with... any suggestions?

View more questions Search