Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ker4sureca Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 4, 2011, 07:58 AM
    Wedding Gift Etiquette
    I'm a college student (working with a budget) that lives in Florida. A friend of mine is getting married in Illinois. I'm wondering if the cost of traveling to Illinois should have any effect on how much I should spend on her wedding gift. Is it rude to spend a little less considering we're paying for plane tickets too? What is acceptable?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 4, 2011, 10:37 AM

Your plane tickets will be a hefty price but how much did you intend to spend on a wedding gift ? Should you not opt out on the trip and just send a nice gift; promise to see them when you can.

Tick
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 5, 2011, 08:24 AM

Gifts are gifts, given from the heart, not out of duty. I think you give what you can afford.

That might be $X if you don't go and $X minus the plane tickets if you do go.

I don't think you owe an explanation and a friend would understand.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jul 5, 2011, 08:37 AM

Gifts are just that--gifts.

There are several inexpensive options for truly memorable gifts when you are already spending a lot on plane tickets.

You spend what you can afford, and whether you have plane tickets only affects the amount you can afford. You owe no explanation to the wedding couple.

Personally, I go for something personal but inexpensive (and easy to transport!) when I am travelling to a wedding. One of my favorite gifts is to get a wedding momento--like a First Christmas Together Christmas ornament, or a something embroidered with their wedding date and names---something personalized but not expensive.

Of course, hand making gifts is also another option, and can be given with love.
    southamerica Posts: 667, Reputation: 400

Jul 5, 2011, 09:09 AM

I agree that you should give what you can afford. Even if you can only afford something small. As long as it is given from your heart and with love, the bride and groom will love it.

I doubt they'd be opening presents with a calculator out, tallying up how much each guest spent on them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Destination wedding gift etiquette [ 3 Answers ]

A family member is having a destination wedding which we will not be attending. They are also planning a reception about 9 months later closer to home. We, of course, want to give a gift but am unsure if we do this prior to the actual wedding or do we wait until the reception 9 months later which...

Gift for destination wedding and the couple is also having a reception 1 gift or 2? [ 2 Answers ]

I am attending a destination wedding, Aruba and the couple is also having a reception once they get back in New York. I am attending both. 1) Do I bring the gift with me to Aruba? 2) Do I bring it to the reception? 3) Do I get them a gift for both?

Etiquette for figuring wedding gift of a dollar amount. [ 8 Answers ]

I am having a difficult time arriving at the proper amount to give as a wedding gift for A friend of my son's wedding. This is NOT a relative. It's a very large wedding and My son is standing up for the groom. They have received almost all of the stuff from their registry so I spoke with...

Engagement gift etiquette [ 2 Answers ]

Is a newly engaged bride to be supposed to give an engagement gift to the groom to be? If you are the newly engaged: Congratulations!

View more questions Search