Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sharc6 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 4, 2011, 07:37 AM
    "Tightness" in gum and tooth after root canal and crown
    I have seen some similar questioned answered here, but nothing exactly like what I'm experiencing. I had a root canal (tooth #3) early in May (2011), actually it was an emergency procedure done while I was on vacation, because I could not fly home with the pain. I was between dentist at the time, so I did not get a permanent crown until July (2011). All the time between the root canal and temp crown, I had no sensitivity in the tooth or gum. The last couple days before, and since the permanent crown was placed, there has been what I can only describe as a "tightness" sensation in the tooth and surrounding gum, and even a bit in my right sinus. Not really pain, no swelling that I can detect, just a this tightness that increases when I put pressure on the repaired tooth, and only the repaired tooth. Initially I though maybe it was just getting use to using that side of my mouth; since I had avoided chewing on that side for nearly 2 months, but the sensation has been the same for 4 days now. The temp crown did come off during the two week period had it, but I was able to put it back in place. I do tend to grind my teeth at night and had not been using my bite guard since it did not fit well with temp crown in place. I'm worried I fractured the tooth and or somehow got an infection in the gum; is there another possible answer for the symptoms? I will of course return to the dentist, just hoping someone out there had experienced something similar and it turned out to not be catastrophic!

Check out some similar questions!

Upper front tooth broke off slightly below gum line, can I get a root canal? [ 6 Answers ]

I knew it wouldn't last long the last time I had it filled but was hoping it would last until I could save up for an implant, it didn't. It' broke slightly below the gum line. I still can not afford an implant but it's hard to talk and eat now. I need something to last for a year or so. I'm...

I got a root canal and needed crown lengthening but got billed for a crown? [ 10 Answers ]

I went to a new dentist for a horrible tooth ache. They took a full set of X-rays which is fine but I just needed them to look at the one tooth ASAP. I was told I needed a root canal, crown lengthening, and porcelien crown. I could not afford everything at once so I did the root canal the next day...

Do you have to have root canal to get crown for a broken front tooth ? [ 9 Answers ]

Is a root canal always necessary when you break a tooth off and need a crown ?

Root canal done on tooth with crown [ 2 Answers ]

Does the crown have to be removed before they do the root canal what is procedure Thanks Lori

Chipped tooth leads to crown possible root canal [ 1 Answers ]

I recently chipped one of my bottom back molars. The tooth had a very large filling. However, it seemed like the dentist really 'went to town' on the drilling. A week later I still had pain and got a prescription. My new crown is in with temporary cement to "see if the pain goes away," and I'm told...

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.