Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KWilly Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 3, 2011, 04:31 AM
    All purpose flour or self rising flour
    Last time I purchased flour I repackaged into airtight container and put in refrigerator; now I do not remember if it is all purpose or self rising flour. How can I determine?
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jul 3, 2011, 08:30 AM

One way to tell what flour it is is to take a teaspoon full and add a drop of vinegar to it... Vinegar causes baking soda to foam up.

However over time self raising flour loses its effectiveness, the baking soda (which is what makes it rise) gradually stops becoming active. If you planned on baking something that needs a lot of rise, like a cake and the flour has been sitting there for quite some time you might be better off buying some new flour.
    RubyMittal Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

May 29, 2012, 09:58 PM
    All purpose flour

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The recipe calls for flour-do I use plain or self-rising? [ 3 Answers ]

I have looked at several recipes that I want to try. Some call for flour, but do not specify plain or self-rising. Is there some unspoken rule that it implies one or the other?

Plain and All purpose flour [ 6 Answers ]

What is the difference between plain flour and all purpose flour?

I have a recipe that calls for two cups of self rising flour. [ 2 Answers ]

I am baking above 5000 ft. What amount of regular flour plus baking soda and salt would be the equal of two cups of self rising flour.

Self rising flour [ 1 Answers ]

Mostly we use all purpose flour. My wife made some donuts, did not add Any spices, yet the donuts came out very salty, had to throw them out. I also tried to make gravy did not use any spices, but the gravy was Very salty too. What is it with this flour, I know it has baking powder/soda But...

Plain flour vs all purpose flour [ 1 Answers ]

Most of my cake recipes call for plain flour. When I use all purpose flour my cakes do not turn out the way they used to. The cake is not as fluffy as it used to be. Should I add baking powder to the recipes?

View more questions Search