Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    WMorg555 Posts: 105, Reputation: 1

Jul 3, 2011, 02:48 AM
    Heat for whirlpool tub
    Is it possible to add a heating system to a whirlpool tub that is already installed?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jul 3, 2011, 07:14 AM

Isn't this tub already plumbed with bot hot and cold?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 3, 2011, 07:34 AM

If you mean some kind of heater to keep the water hot during use the answer is, as a practical matter, NO. You would have to somehow plumb in a heater into the existing tub piping, install some kind of on/off switch, as well as some kind of thermostatic, and an over temperature safety switch. You would probably have to increase the size of the wiring to the tub. Even if you did all that, you wouldn't know if the tub piping would withstand the heated water.

Just can't convert a jetted (whirlpool) tub into a hot tub.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jul 3, 2011, 08:07 AM

Hi guys,

Actually, the answer is more specific to the manufacturer of the tub. If the manufacturer makes an "IN-LINE HEATER" then it can usually be cut in and installed using the simple compression fittings supplied with the in-line heater... ;) These are usually simple 120V plug in type heaters that can plug into the whirlpool motor outlet... comes on when water is sensed and shuts off when water drains out so no protection or switches needed. These are only good at helping to MAINTAIN the water temperature.

There are manufacturer specific models and a couple "universal" models available, but the universal models DO NOT fit most whirlpool pipes so beware of them, OK?

Mark
    Attached Images

ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jul 3, 2011, 04:18 PM

Many whirlpools have booster heaters but most are just plumbed with hot and cold, not to be confused with hot tubs.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Who fixes a whirlpool tub? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a whirlpool tub in my master bath. I went to use it a few weeks ago and it suddenly won't work when you push the start button. We have checked the fuses and all that but can't figure out anything obvious. Who should we call? A plumber or an electrician?

Wiring Whirlpool Tub [ 6 Answers ]

I'm installing a whirlpool tub in my master bedroom. The elctrical requirement is a dedicated circuit for the pump and a circuit for the heater. Both will need to be GFCI protected. I ran a 12/3 cable thinking I can use a double pole 20 A GFCI breaker. However, I have heard it will not work as...

How to drain whirlpool tub? [ 1 Answers ]

I just had an American Standard whirlpool installed during my bathroom renovation. The plumbing crew filled it up with a foot of water but didn't drain it. Now I tried to drain it by following the instructions that came with the tub but that didn't work! The instructions say pushing down on the...

New plumbing for whirlpool tub [ 3 Answers ]

We just installed a whirlpool tub. We put all new plumbing in for the new tub and now we are having trouble with the water pressure on the cold side. Anyone have any answers?? Thanks

View more questions Search