Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tennisaw Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2007, 08:57 PM
    Expensing Supplier Invoices
    We are a distributor of office products. We buy from the wholesaler and sell to the end-user. When we invoice the end user freight charges are entered as a cost of sale and the customer therefore receives free freight. When we expense the supplier invoice, however, we have been expensing purchases separate from freight. Is this incorrect? On our sales report are we seeing a lower profit margin because we are expensing freight separately on the payables? If we expensed freight as part of the purchase cost, how would this change our profit picture. Is it OK to roll freight into the cost of the purchase when expensing payables?
    cynabin Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2007, 11:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tennisaw
    We are a distributor of office products. We buy from the wholesaler and sell to the end-user. When we invoice the end user freight charges are entered as a cost of sale and the customer therefore receives free freight. When we expense the supplier invoice, however, we have been expensing purchases separate from freight. Is this incorrect? On our sales report are we seeing a lower profit margin because we are expensing freight separately on the payables? If we expensed freight as part of the purchase cost, how would this change our profit picture. Is it OK to roll freight into the cost of the purchase when expensing payables?
    When you post your vendor ( accounts payable invoice) post the Freight to a Cost of Sales
    Account called COS: FREIGHT, and when you Sell to your customer you charge Freight charges and post it to an Income: freight account

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Expensing Inventory [ 4 Answers ]

Can you expense inventory as soon as it is received even though it is still setting on the shelf and has not been used? What happens at the end of the year when the my MRP system states I have a million dollars worth of inventory? Is this legal?

Quickbook invoices [ 1 Answers ]

I created several invoices against 2 customers. These invoices are showing up as debits in the Checking Account register. I don't know how this happened. Any ideas on how I can reverse the debits without removing the invoices?

Letterheads/cards/invoices [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, we have a small company we just started our new business and we want to make good letterheads ,cards and invoice books so we can impress our customers and progress in our businesss Please help me to make good office stuff or please guide us where we can find these stuff so that we can select...

One Stop Supplier [ 1 Answers ]

I hope someone can help me. I'm planning to start an online store buying, selling, and trading video games, DVDs, and computer games. Do anyone know of just one supplier that may deal with all of the abovementioned items? I'm not looking for closeout items, but mainstream new releases that you...

View more questions Search