Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    swylie7820 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 2, 2011, 11:11 AM
    Mother's last maiden name as last name on Puerto Rican birth certificate
    My husband was born in Puerto Rico and on his birth certificate his mother's last maiden name is where the last name is. For 63 years he has used father's last name as his last name and this has not been a problem until we moved to Texas. DPS insists he use his mother's maiden name as his last name on his state id. Does he need to do a legal name change to take his mother's maiden name off his birth certificate? All his records including military,government and social security is under his father's last name. Thank you.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 2, 2011, 11:19 AM

His birth certificate is his legal name If other departments did not properly correct and catch the problem, it is their issue.

But since the problems after 911, the requirement for proper ID has been moved to a tighter area.

If where his name is suppose to be, they put the maiden name, then that is legally his last name.

So unless the issue can be cleared up on the birth certificate he should do a name change.
    americanspirit Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 10, 2011, 01:48 PM
    I had the same problem and I had a court order for a change of name and I took that to the department in Puerto Rico so they can change my birth certificate.
    Helang Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2013, 11:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by americanspirit View Post
    I had tghe same problem and I had a court order for a change of name and I took that to the department in Puerto Rico so they can change my birth certificate.
    Americanspirit, or anyone else who has been through this, how did you get the name change in your PR birth certificate. I'm trying to find a contact or another phone number for their vital records dept. There is only one and it's always busy. Who can I contact? My husband has the same problem and I want his mother's maiden name off his birth certificate where his last name should be. Thank you!
    americanspirit Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 5, 2013, 01:24 PM
    Helang

What I did is to legally change the name at a probate court (in my case Boston) with the original name change certificate took it to the vitals records to issue a new birth cert with the "new name " which is basically the same but without mothers maiden name. You might need to do it by mail. You can call them but they might not speak English or understand what you are trying to do. I hope this helps take care.
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jan 29, 2014, 12:45 AM
    To update this more accurately and living part time in Puerto Rico, in accordance with Puerto Rico's new birth certificate law, all birth certificates that were issued by the government of Puerto Rico before July 1, 2010 will no longer be valid and declared void.

There has been a huge black market of stolen birth Certificates from Puerto Rico sold to the illegals in the U.S for Fake Ids that can be used for such things as illegal employment or illegal voting. As much as 40 percent of the identity fraud in the U.S. involves from stolen birth certificates from Puerto Rico told by the State Department.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/...ificates_N.htm

http://www.ubspectrum.com/news/new-l...ates-1.1277228

Puerto Rico overhauls birth-certificate systems; will annul 5 million birth certificates | Homeland Security News Wire

Puerto Rico documentations is very different then the states. For instance when I bought a home there on my deed is my name, my other half’s name, then both our mothers maiden name.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My Birth Certificate from Puerto Rico spelling of first name is incorrect by 1 letter [ 1 Answers ]

All my US paperwork and social security is under the spelling I have been using all my life. Do I need to amend or change all ID with the name spelled on my PR Birth Certificate and also how does it effect applying for a passport?

Change of name on a puerto rican birth certificate [ 7 Answers ]

I am 47 years old and just found out that my middle name is first on my birth certificate and my first name is my middle name. All these years I've been using it the other way around. How can I correct this issue? Do I have to correct all my documents even my marriage certificate?

View more questions Search