Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JoeGuy Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2007, 08:24 PM
    Thermostat Wires - Only 2 Wires (both black)
    Hi there,
    I'm switching my thermostat for a newer digital one, though when I took out the old thermostat, there were only 2 black wires with white stripes on them.
    The new thermostat calls for an RH wire and a W wire, but I have no way of distinguishing the two apart.
    How can I tell which wire is which?

Thanks for the help.

*EDIT*
    Would it be wise to get myself a Volt Ohm Meter and check to see which wire is sending 24 volts?
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Jan 29, 2007, 08:34 PM
    It does not mater which wire you put on each terminal. Actually the wire you are working with is actually only one continuous wire that you could say has been cut at the thermostat, so if you touched the two ends together the furnace will come on, it is the same when you connect them to the thermostat... it just acts as a switch.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 29, 2007, 09:20 PM
    All the meter would show is 24 volts between them. It is a floating voltage, not like house wiring where the neutral is grounded.
    JoeGuy Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2007, 09:51 AM
    Ah OK, so I guess that wasn't the issue with my thermostat then.
    I've just noticed now that I have to turn my thermostat on to like 35 degrees Celsius for it to make the furnace go on at all.
    My house is sitting at 9 to 12 degrees Celsius and it won't go any higher. Should I just call the repairman or is there something else I could check out?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 30, 2007, 02:59 PM
    Go to the furnace and short the terminals together for the 2 wires there. The furnace should come on and stay on until you disconnect them or the house gets so hot the high limit kicks the furnace off. If it does, the problem is the thermostat. It is possible the thermostat isn't getting the power it needs from the 2 wires. In may need batteries or a third wire to the com terminal.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

3 wires + 2 wires  POOL MOTOR [ 2 Answers ]

I need help connecting a motor for my pool. The motor has 3 wires coming out of it. 1 white, 1 black, 1 black with a white stripe. A continuity test on the 2 blacks says they are wired together somewhere. I have a power cable coming out of the ground. 1 white + 1 black cables inside. ...

Blue, Black and White wires in celing fan [ 2 Answers ]

I removed a ceiling fan to replace a switch but did not note the wires. Now I want to replace the fan but find it has Blue, Black and White wires, whereas the wires coming from the ceiling are only White and Black. It also has a green wire attached to the casing. Does the blue and black wire...

Thermostat wires [ 4 Answers ]

Our new puppy pulled the thermostat wires loose from the outside air conditioning unit. No damage to any wires, but I need to know which wire goes to which. From the inside, the wires are blue and yellow. The outside unit has brown and blue. Which to which?

Hampton Bay remote wires do not match fan wires [ 1 Answers ]

Yesterday I installed a new Hunter ceiling fan. I also purchased a Hampton Bay wireless wall switch. Everything went well until I wired up the remote receiver. The receiver has a blue wire for the light that is supposed to connect to the blue wire (light) from the fan. The Hunter fan does not have...

View more questions Search