Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nikkicute Posts: 733, Reputation: 35

Jul 1, 2011, 03:35 PM
    $100 Million Savings Account
    Yahoo Finance Story:

An ATM receipt showing a balance of nearly $100 million dollars was discovered at an East Hampton Village bank.

A customer found the receipt hanging out of the ATM's slot. The customer who found the receipt showed it to financial blog Dealbreaker.com. The receipt, dated June 18, doesn't list the account holder's name but does indicate that the person has $99,864,731.94 in a personal savings account (that's after a $400 withdrawal and a $2.75 service charge). The East Hamptons is a well known playground for the very wealthy.

Is the receipt a mistake of some kind? Perhaps. Anyone with that amount of cash would know that keeping $100 million in a savings account isn't the wisest investment move. Savings accounts earn paltry interest rates and are only guaranteed by the federal government for amounts up to $250,000.

A buzzy article from The New York Post speculates that the holder of the account may be billionaire mogul David Tepper (Forbes lists him as the 208th richest person in the world). When contacted by The New York Post, Tepper denied ownership of the receipt and pointed out that he "would never do something as irresponsible as leaving $100 million in a savings account."

I don't get, why would that be wrong to keep that amount of money in a savings account?
    (ok besides the low interest rate) is it not safe:confused:

What does it mean only guaranteed by the Feds for amounts up to $250,000? Does that mean if someone stole your money they can only give you back the $250,000?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 1, 2011, 03:43 PM

The Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation insures a person's accounts in a single bank for UP TO $250,000. You go over that amount and the bank fails, you get back $250,000.

$250,000 per depositor per bank.

If that bank had failed the account holder would have received $250,000 and no more.

FDIC: Your Insured Deposits
    nikkicute Posts: 733, Reputation: 35

Jul 1, 2011, 03:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    The Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation insures a person's accounts in a single bank for UP TO $250,000. You go over that amount and the bank fails, you get back $250,000.

$250,000 per depositor per bank.

If that bank had failed the account holder would have received $250,000 and no more.

FDIC: Your Insured Deposits
    Ohhhhh! I see... wow guess you have to spread it around to different banks in order to keep your $$ and invest it other ventures. Thanks for the answer!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 1, 2011, 04:52 PM

I will say that many gag stores sells ATM statements showing millions of dollars ( that was my first thought) you can buy those along with fake lottery tickets and more
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jul 5, 2011, 10:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    It's usually not quite that extreme. In most cases when a bank goes belly-up the FDIC is able to get another bank buy it out and honor all account balances - even those over the guarranted maximum. Only if they can't find a buyer does the FDIC step in and reimburse depositors up to a max of $250K. In 2010 less than 4% of the bank failures resulted in any depositors losing money.

Nevertheless the point is valid - even if the risk is "only" 4% it is a bit irresponsible to keep more than the guarranteed amount in a single account.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Savings account [ 1 Answers ]

If 5,000 is put in a savings account paying interest of 4% compounded annually, what amount will be in the account at the end of 5 years? The answer I got was 6,000. I multiplied 5,000, 04, and 5. Am I correct?

Savings Account [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I was wondering if a hospital can check a saving account for the balance. My mother is trying to get the hospital to pay for her surgery and they have a program. The form she has to fill out ask the balance of her accounts. She has been saving a little here and there and over the last 10...

Savings Account [ 2 Answers ]

Hello there! I'm 23 years old. Both my girlfriend and I have good credit and decent income for our age. We want to purchase a home in the near future. What would be the best way to save for a down payment? Are there savings accounts that offer interest? What would be the best way to go?

View more questions Search