Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    marcomnzs Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2007, 06:13 PM
    $1500 Pet Damage Claim
    After I move-out my landlord decide to change all the carpet (and charge me it about $1500) instead of clean it because there was a small stain that could be cleaned or changed only this small area - the carpet was not new and there was other stains on it (listed at the move-in inspection). He said that it was a Pet Damage but I don't even have a pet.
    - What Should I do? Do I need to pay in full for it?
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Jan 29, 2007, 06:44 PM
    Do not be so quick to pay the bill.

Do you have a copy of the move-in inspection paperwork and a copy of a letter from him stating that it is a pet stain? Did you ever take pictures of the carpet before you moved out? These items will help you build a case.

Is this $1500 your security deposit and he is refusing to give you a refund? Or is this just a bill he is sending you?

If you have all the paperwork in hand and this is an additional bill he has sent to you, write him a letter explaining that you never had any pets and that he must be confusing you with a different tenant, you have pictures of the carpeting prior to moving out, and you have a copy of the move-in inspection stating that the stains were already on the carpet prior to your moving in. Attach a copy of that inspection report. Tell him that since you did not ruin his carpet you will not pay for it and you expect him to issue you a credit. Then tell him, thank you, in advance for correcting this misunderstanding. Then, send it via certified mail to him. Keep a copy of your letter and all the documentation in a file, attaching the certified receipts. This may not go away easily. He may try to take you to small claims court. If that happens, all you need to do is bring all that documentation to the court and show it to the Judge.

If you do not have all of the above documentation, please write back and tell us what you do have as proof and someone will be able to advise you further.
    dannysmom Posts: 29, Reputation: 2

Jan 29, 2007, 06:48 PM
    For your next place. Take pictures the day you have walk through with landloard before signing the lease. Get the pictures dated . And do the same upon leaving
    Justice Matters Posts: 210, Reputation: 27

Jan 30, 2007, 05:35 AM
    We have three points for you.

1. The burden of proof as to who caused the damage lies with the landlord. If there are no inspection reports or "before photos" then it may be his word against yours.

2. Regardless of who caused the stains, the landlord has an obligation to attempt to mitigate his damages. If he cannot prove that he attempted to have the carpet professionally cleaned then his costs of damages could be restricted to whatever that cost might have been.

3. Unless the carpet was brand new the landlord doesn't get to hold anyone responsible for the cost of new carpet. Compensation can only equal the loss. If the carpet was 20 years old, which is well past the expected lifespan, and already in poor condition then it would have had very little, if any, value. (It's like car insurance; if your 15 year old, rusty, barely driveable $500 car is stolen don't expect the insurance company to buy you a brand new car.) It sounds like your landlord may be trying to get you to pay for the cost of upgrading the carpet to make the unit more attractive for prospective tenants.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dodge ram 1500 [ 7 Answers ]

I have read some previous posts and it seems there are similar problems. My truck only has luke warm heat. I flushed the cooling system, new thermostat, OEM 195 degree, flushed heater core many times, water free flows very strong through heater core. I too have a spot on my temperature knob that...

Dodge 1500 [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Dodge Ram 2001 pickup. My cluster gauges just went out but the lights work OK. I checked the fuse at the fuse box and they are OK. I know their must be a fuse in the Power Distribution Center, but I don't know which one it is as none of them refer to the cluster. Anyone know where I want...

Dodge 2000 Ram 1500 [ 2 Answers ]

I replaced the battery on the 2000 dodge ram 1500 and it won't start lights will not turn on radio doesn't work no electrical activity the battery is new. Its possible that the terminals were hooked up backwards(neg to pos--) is there some sort of fuse or relay,breaker etc that possibly tripped.

View more questions Search