Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DEANNADIAZ Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 29, 2011, 07:12 PM
    Need to know how many tons our tempstar air conditioner model #nac242akc3 is
    We replaced our outside air conditioner 3 years ago and the technician told us it was a 3.5 ton unit. Today a serviceman went out there and told us the unit outside was only a 2 ton unit and was not compatible with the inside furnace (or coil). The unit is large and we don't believe it is only a 2 ton unit. Could someone please clarify that it is a 3.5 ton unit. It sure looks like it. The model number is #nac242akc3. We believe it is a tempstar.
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Jun 30, 2011, 04:22 PM
    Haven`t dealt with to many tempstars,, but I believe it is a 3.5 ton condenser
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Jun 30, 2011, 04:45 PM

First, why did the ac tech come out. Is there a problem with the ac? Has it cooled properly for the last three years with no issues? If it has, then it is sized correctly, bacause if there were a 2 ton condenser with a 3 1/2 ton coil, it just plain wouldn't work right. Now, that being said. I can see where the confusion on the model number came into play. It's the 242 in the number that is confusing. Here's why. 24 signifies a 2 ton, and 42 signifies a 3 1/2 ton. So, as the model number reads, is it indeed a two, or a three and a half ton? From the information I have found on the web, the compressor in your condenser unit with model number you gave is indeed a 3 1/2 ton unit. I would imagine the tech saw 24, and assumed a two ton, when in fact he should have been looking at the 42.
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Jun 30, 2011, 04:59 PM
    Comment on mygirlsdad77's post
    Yes I had to Google it a couple different ways to determine which to use the 24 or the 42,, an easy one to mistake
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Jun 30, 2011, 05:07 PM

Easy one to mistake for sure wmproop. Service mans nightmare. I have run across this a couple of times, and man does it make me cuss.
    GSHeating1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 12, 2021, 10:02 PM
    You can determine the “nominal” condenser tonnage of your HVAC system by examining the model number on the data plate at the side of the condenser (outdoor unit). Just like the nominal size of lumber or an air conditioning filter, the exact cooling capacity may be a little more or less than the nominal rating, but it’s close.

For Tempter, you should look for two numbers in the middle of the model number that are divisible by 6 or 12, and represent the nominal BTU of the system in thousands. A ton of air conditioning equals 12,000 BTU, and 30 divided by 12 equals 2.5, so the data plate below indicates the system is 3 tons.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How many tons heil air conditioner model N2A360GKA200 [ 1 Answers ]

I need to no how many tons heil air conditioner model n2a360gka200

Tempstar furnace and air conditioner [ 1 Answers ]

Hello everyone, My husband and I recently purchased a new home in 2006, we closed in February of 2007, the other day I walked past our thermostat placed in the hall way of our home, and noticed the digital display was blank. I went into the basement to check the furnace and it had shutdown,...

# of Tons for Tempstar 5000 model # CA5530UKA1 [ 1 Answers ]

How many tons is a Tempstar High efficiency 5000 model # CA5530UKA1 I am looking to replace with out replacing the tower inside the house, Just the outside unit?

Tempstar High Efficiency 5000 What are # of tons replacement recommendations [ 1 Answers ]

I have a "Tempstar High Efficiency 5000" outdoor air conditioner with a tower in the attic, this is a 1993 model that has had a number of service issues. I am planning on replacing the unit Question 1: How many Tons is this unit I can not tell by reading info on the back? I have tried to...

Thermostat air conditioner wiring for tempstar gas furnace [ 2 Answers ]

I disconnected my thermostat from the gas tempstar furnace and also disconnected two wires I traced to the central air conditioner. I do not know where to connect the air conditioner black and white wires to on the W,Y,R,G,C. I do not have a manual. Can someone help me?

View more questions Search