Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mrcottonsauce Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 29, 2011, 05:45 PM
    I lied and I can't regain my parents' trust.
    Help! I am 11 and I lied to my parents about finishing my schoolwork, I know, bad reason, but can you please help me how to regain their trust?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 29, 2011, 05:54 PM

Over next few months and longer don't lie, and prove to them that you can be trusted, it does not happen over night, expect them to make you prove things closer for a while
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 29, 2011, 06:01 PM

I'm closing my eyes and pretending you are my son.

I would be thrilled if you came to me and told me how sorry you are and asked me what you could do to redeem yourself. "Is there a special project I could do or a chore that needs doing, such as some kind of deep cleaning in the house or some special yard work project? Or maybe even add a regular job to my weekly chores, like, I would take over cleaning the bathroom(s) every Saturday, after you show me how, and you will promise to inspect each time I finish?"

That's how you would regain my trust if you were my son.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jun 29, 2011, 06:02 PM

Once a child lies to their parents it's hard for us to trust you again. If you lied once, our thought is that you will lie again. It's a reasonable assumption.

Tell them that you're sorry, that you've learned your lesson, and then prove to them that this will never happen again. If you sincerely have learned a lesson, and don't lie again, sooner or later they will trust you again. But make sure that you are sincere.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jun 30, 2011, 04:05 AM
    I'm going to take another view, since regaining trust has been so well covered: parents need to understand that their children are going to lie once they learn how (I didn't take a cookie out of the jar), and lying about homework is a very common one. I would hope that your parents aren't treating you like a criminal who is on a path to some awful adulthood. Lying is part of testing your independence from parents, who no longer are watching every move you make. In this situation, what's most important is the fact that you will soon be the only one in charge of getting work done, whether it's in college or a job or a home, not whether you are testing the envelope of parental control.
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Jul 2, 2011, 10:39 AM

First, all children lie at some point so don't be too hard on yourself. But also, learn from this experience - lying is very detrimental to your friendships and family relationships, and if you lie to your parents, it will have a lot of impacts that will be difficult for you, but deserved.

Make a point of being honest moving forward. If you cannot answer a question honestly, such as if your parents want to know if you like a particular boy or something, you can say, "I'm not comfortable discussing what boys I might or might not like - you're embarassing me so please don't ask". This way you're not lying, but you're defending your privacy at the same time.

It would be very good to go back, even if you already apologized in the moment, and tell your parents how sorry you are for lying to them and that you are going to be more honest moving forward. It would show a lot of maturity and class to do that.
    nik00 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 2, 2012, 05:18 AM
    I also lied my parents but after 3 year I told them everything true then I feel good and even my parents also happier then early)))go and tell everything true please don't think anything and told everything to your parents

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can I regain my parents trust ? [ 22 Answers ]

So I'm 13. I liked this guy. He liked me. We talked everyday in school and we texted each other everyday. He asked me to a movie after about 2 months of this. But he cancelled out an hour before we were supposed to go. He made up a lame excuse as to why he couldn't go. I told my parents everything...

I want to know how to regain my parents trust after being arrested? [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I've recently been caught buying weed in school and want to know how to regain my parents trust back to the point where it seemed like it never happened. When I was caught and arrested I was told that this would be on my record forever and that I might be expelled from school. Also my parents...

How Can I Regain My Parents' Trust? [ 23 Answers ]

Today, I had to go to my cousin's wedding (which no one wanted to go to) and we were planning on staying for maybe 2 or 3 hours *It started @ 1pm*. Then I had found out about a huge cookout that was going on that night so I really wanted to go. After trying to get my "hammered" mother ready to go...

View more questions Search