Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    peagreen Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 29, 2011, 07:08 AM
    Can I take my kids with me?
    I live in Utah with my husband and son. I just found out that my husband is abusing drugs and I want to leave the state and return to my family in Wyoming. Can I leave him and take my son with me? He is threatening that I will get in trouble for kidnapping, is this true?
    pepsiithrowback Posts: 9, Reputation: 0

Jun 29, 2011, 07:23 AM
    Well I think that if he is your biological son then there shouldn't be a problem, unless you guys are divorced or if he has custody. But if there is a problem and he reports you and gets judges and lawyers involved, then you can tell them the reason why and they should be understanding of the issue. If he lies about abusing drugs they should be able to check his blood or something (not too sure how that would work. But they can check something)... but I don't live there so I don't know how the law works over there.. but where I am people of the law thing very poorly on people who are involved with drugs especially if they are abusing them. So I don't think there would be a problem. But once again I'm not too sure.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Jun 29, 2011, 08:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by peagreen View Post
    I live in Utah with my husband and son. I just found out that my husband is abusing drugs and I want to leave the state and return to my family in Wyoming. Can I leave him and take my son with me? He is threatening that I will get in trouble for kidnapping, is this true?
    You probably won't get into trouble for kidnapping, as he is your child and you are allowed to take him where you please, but as of right now, jurisdiction lies in Utah state. You, your husband and child are all residents of Utah and the divorce would have to be filed there. I would consult an attorney in your area to see what your options are at this point.

How did you learn that he is abusing drugs? Did you contact the police?

Quote Originally Posted by pepsiithrowback View Post
    well i think that if he is your biological son then there shouldn't be a problem, unless u guys are divorced or if he has custody. but if there is a problem and he reports you and gets judges and lawyers involved, then u can tell them the reason why and they should be understanding of the issue. if he lies about abusing drugs they should be able to check his blood or something (not too sure how that would work. but they can check something)... but i don't live there so i don't know how the law works over there.. but where i am people of the law thing very poorly on people who are involved with drugs especially if they are abusing them. so i don't think there would be a problem. but once again im not too sure.
    Please refrain from posting on the legal boards if the best advice you can give is, "Well, I think....but I'm not too sure...." Our answers on this forum must conform to the law and be accurate - guesses, opinions or suggestions are more than welcome on other forums, but cannot be posted here.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 29, 2011, 09:12 AM

Unless there is currently a custody or visitation order in place, then moving would not get you in trouble. As long as you don't hide from the father, then kidnapping would not be an issue.

However, there is the possibility that you will be forced to return or at least your children forced to return, if he wins custody.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 29, 2011, 10:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by pepsiithrowback View Post
    well i think that if he is your biological son then there shouldn't be a problem, unless u guys are divorced or if he has custody. but if there is a problem and he reports you and gets judges and lawyers involved, then u can tell them the reason why and they should be understanding of the issue. if he lies about abusing drugs they should be able to check his blood or something (not too sure how that would work. but they can check something)... but i don't live there so i don't know how the law works over there.. but where i am people of the law thing very poorly on people who are involved with drugs especially if they are abusing them. so i don't think there would be a problem. but once again im not too sure.

You are wrong - this is a legal board. We take pride in our answers. Please don't guess or speculate or attempt to answer when you don't know.

And PLEASE stop using text speak.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jun 29, 2011, 10:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    However, there is the possibility that you will be forced to return or at least your children forced to return, if he wins custody.
    As this8384 pointed out, jurisdiction for child custody litigation will be in Utah. He can sue you there for up to six months from the time you take the child to another state.

Jurisdiction for a divorce, if child custody were not involved, might be enjoyed by courts in other states to which OP might move, but, since custody is an issue, it is probable that a divorce petition would be dismissed elsewhere.

If anybody is interested (and I realize OP didn't ask), one has to reside in Wyoming for at least 60 days to file for divorce there:
    "20-2-107. Residential requirements generally for plaintiffs.
    (a) No divorce shall be granted unless the plaintiff has resided in this state for sixty (60) days immediately preceding the time of filing the complaint, or the marriage was solemnized in this state and the plaintiff has resided in this state from the time of the marriage until the filing of the complaint." Legal Resources

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

80's or 90's Kids film about kids adopting aliens from a pet store [ 3 Answers ]

Thinking they were animals and then FBI get involved etc. I remember watching the film in th 90's on VHS but cannot for the life of me remember the name of it

I have 2 kids my kids mother is deceased, we had no custody papers, can I get my kids [ 5 Answers ]

My ex and I have not been together for over 5 years and I would send money and see my kids when I can they live in California, I live in Texas. 3 weeks ago my ex was killed and now my kids who are 5 and 4 are with their grandmother right now, can I go get my kids. My ex and I had no custody...

Kids mom on ssi died but she didn't work.do kids qualify? [ 1 Answers ]

My children mother past away at age 38 in New Jersey. She had no work history, but she received ssi benefits for 10yrs. Do my children qualify for any benefits.

View more questions Search