Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 29, 2011, 06:40 AM
    Check yoself before you wreck yoself!
    I have seen some recent posts where long-term members have extremely chastised the OPs. I will not go into detail to which threads these are. But let us all remember that the OPs are here to get some help.

In some instances they are in extreme pain, yet they post in other areas information to the contrary. These members are reaching out for help, yet what I have seen happening is that they are getting called out and their conflicting posts are getting picked apart.

Let us all remember that in times of turmoil we all can have conflicting feelings. These people are here for help, not criticism.

There was a thread in the Bereavement section (it has been removed so don't try to look for it) that really hit me hard. I realize that sometimes we have to look up other posts from members to get a whole and complete story, but remember that feelings, at times, are conflicting and that what they post in one thread may not be what they are feeling in another thread.

In the end, if you are not here to help people, keep your thoughts to yourself. I am just as guilty as the next person is, but this particular thread was extremely hurtful. Not only to the OP, but to anyone going through what that OP was experiencing.

Please, I ask you, remember what we are here for!
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jun 29, 2011, 06:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    In some instances they are in extreme pain, yet they post in other areas information to the contrary. These members are reaching out for help, yet what I have seen happening is that they are getting called out and their conflicting posts are getting picked apart.
    We are only human and sometimes it looks like the OP is playing us. No one likes to be played and I don't have a problem with asking them about a post they made in another forum that contradicts what they say.
    Expert

Jun 29, 2011, 06:56 AM

Look, I've been played too, and I've admitted that I am as guilty as the next person. However, this one in particular was extremely cruel, and as such, has been removed.

I'm just trying to say that we have to look at all sides before responding. And, since you don't play in the "feel good" sections of AMHD NK, this really doesn't apply to you. This applies to the people who respond in the Relationship/Bereavement/Death & Dying/Emotional, etc. forums.
    Uber Member

Jun 29, 2011, 07:04 AM
    I sometimes make people feel good. :)
    Expert

Jun 29, 2011, 07:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    I sometimes make people feel good. :)
    Really?
    Uber Member

Jun 29, 2011, 07:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    Really?
    Check yoself before you wreck yoself!
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Jun 29, 2011, 07:28 AM
    I've noticed an astounding lack of compassion the past few months on here, particularly on the Law boards (since that's where I spend most of my time). Yes, there are players out there. So what? If someone's playing you on here the only thing that can be damaged is pride. Possible damage to pride is not enough of a reason to act as cynically as I've been seeing many experts act.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 29, 2011, 07:38 AM

Hello:

Business is bad. Some will tell you it's because of the recession... Some will say it's because of Google... Some will say it's because of the "comments" feature...

But, I think, it's because we've become a**holes. If they ask about sex, we DEMAND to know how old they are. If they use text speak, we come down HARD on 'em. If they don't spell correctly, or use proper grammar, we ridicule them. God forbid they should give us a reddie! If we recognize their name, we LOOK for reasons to attack them. If we err, we err on the WRONG SIDE!

I have looked for the enemy, and it is US!

excon
    Uber Member

Jun 29, 2011, 07:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Some will say it's because of the "comments" feature...
    This and the whole new user experience as they are faced with that awful interface.
    Expert

Jun 29, 2011, 07:46 AM
    Hello:

Business is bad. Some will tell you it's because of the recession... Some will say it's because of Google... Some will say it's because of the "comments" feature...

But, I think, it's because we've become a**holes. If they ask about sex, we DEMAND to know how old they are. If they use text speak, we come down HARD on 'em. If they don't spell correctly, or use proper grammar, we ridicule them. God forbid they should give us a reddie! If we recognize their name, we LOOK for reasons to attack them. If we err, we err on the WRONG SIDE!

I have looked for the enemy, and it is US!

excon
    A million greenies to you Exy!
    QLP Posts: 980, Reputation: 656

Jul 3, 2011, 02:53 AM

I do think it's better to assume the OP is genuine and in need of help. So what if that sometimes isn't the case. The worst that can happen is that I will waste a bit of time on someone who is messing around. My choice to spend the time or not. I would rather do that than scare off someone in real need that we could just have really helped.

The ones I find most frustrating are the posts where everyone can see the OP's real issue except the OP. You know the ones where the OP is just looking for everyone to agree with their narrow point of view or indudlge them in a pity party. You will often see many people chipping in trying to get them to accept the truth and they do sometimes degenerate into people getting a little short with the OP in frustration. Not sure there's actually any real way of getting through with these sometimes.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jul 3, 2011, 04:37 AM

I've noticed an astounding lack of compassion the past few months on here, particularly on the Law boards (since that's where I spend most of my time).

Here is one of the dividing lines that all of our visitors run into. On the "opinion" boards there is a lot more of give and take as the answer is based on an opinion. On "technical" boards, that by its very definition isn't allowed. The answers should conform to the area being answered in. The law is what it is and is often quoted. There are even stickies in most areas to address common questions and they still ask them. It doesn't matter how different you want to state it - signing away your rights isn't an option except for certain circumstances under the law. Its just not a simple deal. But in the law board its asked almost once a day it seems.

I agree we shouldn't berate nor admonish OP's to the extent it drives them away. But you need to look at the big picture involved too. We aren't just a one trick pony. But it seems to be getting that way.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 3, 2011, 07:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post
    We arent just a one trick pony. But it seems to be getting that way.
    I was just reading up on the Google algorithm which led me to "content farm." If I understand this correctly, that's what the changed algorithm has us classified as now and why we don't rise to the top of the heap during a search.

content farm = used to describe a company that employs large numbers of often freelance writers to generate large amounts of textual content which is specifically designed to satisfy algorithms for maximal retrieval by automated search engines. Their main goal is to generate advertising revenue through attracting reader page views as first exposed in the context of social spam.

Content farm - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Uber Member

Jul 3, 2011, 08:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Their main goal is to generate advertising revenue through attracting reader page views
    Hello Carol:

But, that's NOT what we do. Therefore there MUST be a way for a website to COUNTER the change that wasn't aimed at us in the first place... That's what the devs need to be doing instead of fiddling around... We're going down in flames...

excon
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 3, 2011, 08:51 AM
    That's what the devs need to be doing instead of fiddling around... We're going down in flames...
    Dear excon:

Is anything being done? I thought rpray or RickJ (hmmm, a bit of rhyming there) had said something would be figured out as to how to counter that notion that we are a content farm.

WG
    Uber Member

Jul 3, 2011, 08:55 AM
    Is anything being done?
    Hi WG:

I asked 'em, but I did it on the V93 skin as comment instead of an answer, and I guessed they missed it.

excon
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 3, 2011, 09:00 AM
    Hi WG:

I asked 'em, but I did it on the V93 skin as comment instead of an answer, and I guessed they missed it.

excon
    Dear excon:

What CAN be done? I looked at the algorithm on Wikipedia and then ran into the kitchen to find my bottle of Kahlua. I vaguely remember someone from the site saying all the ads make the difference.

WG
    Uber Member

Jul 3, 2011, 09:05 AM
    Dear excon:

What CAN be done?
    Hello again, WG:

If I knew how to write algorithms that attract traffic, I'd be a zillionaire.. SOMEBODY here knew how once.

excon
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 3, 2011, 09:10 AM
    If I knew how to write algorithms that attract traffic, I'd be a zillionaire.. SOMEBODY here knew how once.
    Dear excon:

No, no, no. I meant, is there something the site can do to change the numbers that get put into Google's algorithm? For instance, change how the site presents its ads. Or, become altruistic and get rid of all the ads. :) That certainly would shoot the site to the top of the heap.

WG
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 3, 2011, 09:12 AM

Dear excon:

Would the same situation (loss in traffic) have existed had the new skin never been invented and everyone was on the old ones(s)?

WG

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I am a WRECK! Depressed. [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I'm 21 years old, female… and I can't figure out what is wrong with me. My main emotional distress is me and my boyfriends relationship… we have been together for 10 months and for the past 3 months I would say, have been hell! We fight alllll the time, and I will admit I cause the...

Car Wreck [ 21 Answers ]

I got into a car wreck a few months ago. I was going down a two lane road at about 40 miles an hour (the speed limit), if that. When a vehicle pulled out in front of me from the left hand side. She could not see me because there was a wall of traffic waiting to cross the light which I had just...

Emotional Wreck [ 1 Answers ]

I feel as if the world has been turning against me lately. Not to sound like anything wrong but emotionally, I'm a wreck and I HATE feeling the way that I do.It's been happening since Monday and I wish there was something I can do just to change everything that I think is wrong. And it's not even...

Car wreck [ 5 Answers ]

I was involved in a car accident a week ago as a passenger. The car was totaled per insurance agent. I went to the dr. and was given pain medicine and told that I had inflammation in my shoulders and swelling and pain in my hand(it hit and cracked the windshield). I am fine other than swelling...

View more questions Search