Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 3, 2011, 11:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post
    Just wait until the new article feature kicks in and starts going full swing. I really do think they are trying to change it into a social networking site rather then what it currently / is used to be.
    Ah! So we are sliding away from being a well-respected Q&A site to being just another social networking site. That makes total sense due to the look of the new skin and the site's urging members to bring all their little Internet friends over to see their profile and the questions they've asked and maybe answered. And then maybe all those friends will click on each other's Adsense ads they've all subscribed to.

So, eventually, the site won't need us experts any longer to accurately answer questions. The site will have every tom, bill, and harry answering each other's questions accurately or not -- but the accuracy doesn't matter as long as they come to the site and click on ads.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jul 3, 2011, 12:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Ah! So we are sliding away from being a well-respected Q&A site to being just another social networking site. That makes total sense due to the look of the new skin and the site's urging members to bring all their little Internet friends over to see their profile and the questions they've asked and maybe answered. And then maybe all those friends will click on each other's Adsense ads they've all subscribed to.

So, eventually, the site won't need us experts any longer to accurately answer questions. The site will have every tom, bill, and harry answering each other's questions accurately or not -- but the accuracy doesn't matter as long as they come to the site and click on ads.
    Lol.. it worked for Yahoo didn't it ?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 3, 2011, 01:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post
    lol .. it worked for yahoo didnt it ?
    You're right. And that's why I'm not at Yahoo! Answers any longer. I must be a social networking snob.

So it all comes down to money and profits. Altruism and honestly caring about and for each other don't matter.
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Jul 3, 2011, 01:42 PM

In a recent survey I was unable to distinguish between an algorithm and a tablespoon. Therefore I'll forego offering advice on corrective measures. I am however completely qualified to count up to 20 and have noted that when checking-in recently there are often only 2-6 people on-site.

I believe the points made by J_9 and expanded upon by excon are on target. If there are only a few clients remaining it doesn't pay to offend even one of them.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 3, 2011, 02:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DrBill100 View Post
    I ... have noted that when checking-in recently there are often only 2-6 people on-site.
    I make myself invisible here, am happily retired with little to do except for crossword puzzles, reading, editing for profit, volunteering at the local cat shelter, and being on the computer until maybe to a.m. CDT. I sit here around midnight and eagerly wait for the other half of the world wake up and sign on, and begin to field their questions. There used to be many Europeans and Asians to keep me company. Now there are usually fewer than ten people showing online at that time on this site (DrBill and dwashbur -- and CurlyBen -- are often here; that's three, and maybe J_9 depending on her schedule and workload). Where have the Europeans and Asians gone?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 3, 2011, 02:52 PM

I guess we need to start answering like they do over on Yahoo answers, Question: you had sex with 10 men and don't know who to collect child support. Answer " no problem, just sue all of them for child support they will all have to pay, my sister did it" And of course that gets voted best answer, and the real answers get reported

Dr Bill can start telling everyone they have nothing to worry about, they will pass the drug test if they just drink >>>> ( make your own answer)
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 3, 2011, 02:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    I guess we need to start answering like they do over on yahoo answers
    And be sure to text your answer and add "hope i helped xxx" at the end (and maybe xxx at the beginning too).
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 3, 2011, 03:13 PM

I was banned from Yahoo answers, I had the nerve to answer with any moral values
    TUT317 Posts: 657, Reputation: 76

Jul 5, 2011, 10:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    I guess we need to start answering like they do over on yahoo answers, Question: you had sex with 10 men and don't know who to collect child support. Answer " no problem, just sue all of them for child support they will all have to pay, my sister did it" And of course that gets voted best answer, and the real answers get reported

Dr Bill can start telling everyone they have nothing to worry about, they will pass the drug test if they just drink >>>> ( make your own answer)

This is the problem with a "wisdom of the masses" approach to media. The idea that the many are smarter than the few is not always right. This is especially true of Yahoo answers. "We report, you decide" is another endorsement of a majority opinion being the best opinion. Wikipedia can come in for criticism for similar reasons.

People who vote for the best answer don't always vote for the correct answer. In many cases the masses seem to demonstrate they are confused. On the other hand, the OP can be equally confused and I have seen examples on Yahoo where the answer chosen by the OP is patiently absurd. I am not saying answers voted for and chosen by OP's is always incorrect. Naturally there many examples where the wisdom of the crowd has succeeded but there are too many inconsistencies to believe this approach is of any real value when it comes to complex issues.

Tut
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Jul 8, 2011, 08:09 AM

Hey, I thought this thread was an excellent idea. I haven't read all the comments, because it seemed to get away from the topic and into the algroawhateva stuff.

I just wanted to say, I know I have been too quick to judge, and have come down hard on people. Usually in the dog forum, I try to stay away from the touchy feely stuff because I'm not a touchy feely kind of gal. But I will remember, and have been trying my best to be my nicest. It's hard sometimes, I can't speak for everyone, but I have a bad habit of letting my emotions get the best of me especially when it comes to animals or kids. Anyway... point taken, I'm on my best :)
    southamerica Posts: 667, Reputation: 400

Jul 8, 2011, 08:44 AM

I agree with the OP, for sure.

I have tried to give the benefit of the doubt and to be kind even when I start sensing that I'm being BSed.

I'm afraid that as I've become more accustomed to the community and comfortable as a member, I might have gotten a little less warm and fuzzy.

I think we should definitely work on that. How disheartening to come to a place that says it will help you, and be scolded based on your use of the English language or the comments feature.

WE can't do anything about the skin or format of the site (except let our observations on its shortcomings be known), but we CAN practice good customer service.

I stopped flying Frontier airlines when a customer service representative berated me for needing to change my flight time the day of the flight (I had to go into surgery! Evil me!). Despite how asinine a person's question or attitude is, we have a choice to kill it with kindness, stick to ANSWERING the questions, not attacking people.

That's why the RIP feature is a good friend of ours. Let our moderators keep us in line.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I am a WRECK! Depressed. [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I'm 21 years old, female… and I can't figure out what is wrong with me. My main emotional distress is me and my boyfriends relationship… we have been together for 10 months and for the past 3 months I would say, have been hell! We fight alllll the time, and I will admit I cause the...

Car Wreck [ 21 Answers ]

I got into a car wreck a few months ago. I was going down a two lane road at about 40 miles an hour (the speed limit), if that. When a vehicle pulled out in front of me from the left hand side. She could not see me because there was a wall of traffic waiting to cross the light which I had just...

Emotional Wreck [ 1 Answers ]

I feel as if the world has been turning against me lately. Not to sound like anything wrong but emotionally, I'm a wreck and I HATE feeling the way that I do.It's been happening since Monday and I wish there was something I can do just to change everything that I think is wrong. And it's not even...

Car wreck [ 5 Answers ]

I was involved in a car accident a week ago as a passenger. The car was totaled per insurance agent. I went to the dr. and was given pain medicine and told that I had inflammation in my shoulders and swelling and pain in my hand(it hit and cracked the windshield). I am fine other than swelling...

View more questions Search