Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    apj123 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2011, 10:01 PM
    Inter caste marriage
    Hi, I love a girl very much and I want her only to be my life partner, but she is a christian and I am a hindu. My parents know about our relationship and are telling me to choose either them or her. But I can't live without boyh of them. How do I convince my parents? *** *** HELP!!
    tmtrotminor Posts: 38, Reputation: 15

Jun 29, 2011, 09:00 AM

This is definitely a culture clash. In the American Culture, we are far more focused on the individual, so many people would say, choose your girl.. On the other hand, in the Indian culture, you're focused on family, and the individual doesn't hold hardly any value at all. Let me tell you, my husband and I have an interracial couple as friends, just so happens that she is hindu and he is white. They have been dealing with this same problem for a few years now as well. She ended up choosing him over her family. She get mean calls from her father and mother all the time. But you know what she tells me? It's completely worth it and she is happier in life than she has ever been. They have such a beautiful and healthy relationship, and are working together to have a wonderful future.
    What I truly recommend is that you tell your parents that you truly love her, and that you love them. Thank them for everything and say that you're going to be with her, and it is their choice if they want to stay in your life. I might also add that the people of America are very accepting of this sort of thing and it will not give the family a bad name, nor is there even an existing or fixed caste system. It is the American dream they came here for, and you want a piece of it too.
    tmtrotminor Posts: 38, Reputation: 15

Jun 29, 2011, 09:07 AM

I would also recommend that if you want more advice from people here, post the title as "interracial couple, parents don't approve" or something. Most people in the US have no idea what a caste system is. Sounds Almost like a legal issue. :P
    apj123 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 29, 2011, 11:41 PM
    Comment on tmtrotminor's post
    Thank you :)
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jun 30, 2011, 04:16 PM

What if they cannot be convinced? You still have a choice to make don't you? So make one.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Regarding Inter caste marriage [ 4 Answers ]

Hi All, I'm vaishali, I belong to brahmin hindu family and I love a boy who belongs to hindu caste but fall in schdule caste. He is well settled but how we convience our parents on inter caste especially about schdule caste marriage. Kindly give me suggestion what I have to do now?

View more questions Search