Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bpange34 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2011, 03:12 PM
    If I take enough oxycodone to stop withdrawels can I still take a bit of xannax?
    I don't want to get high necassarly off the oxycodone, I want to stop withdrawels, but at same time, consistently lower my tolerance, bye taking enough to not get sick. I was hoping I could still eat 1 milligram of xannax, because I have no tolerance for it, and I heard it helps you sleep, along with ill feel sum kind of high, but more so because ill be to afraid to give in and eat more oxycodone if I eat that xannax, and won't do it for that reason. I know its not good to mix the two and I'm used to 150 miligrams of oxycodone a day. I want to ultimatly kick this habit. I have been using for about 6 months and am noticing how much its effecting my life and how much things in it have changed. I have strong will power and over 3 years ago quit ciggaretts cold turkey and never smoked again to date. I know this is way different but I'm adding that in to show how much I believe I can stop taking oxycodone bye slowly weeding myself down, instead of getting help as I'm ashamed and have too much pride to go to clinic. See my other issue is that I live in a fairly small town and have chosen to keep my addiction a secret. No body know`s except for anyone reading this now. Not even my dealer, he thinks I sell them all to friend for him. It all started when I moved into his nieghborhood and then long story from there but I want to stop. So I waited over 24 hours and
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 28, 2011, 03:24 PM

You are having panic attacks because you are within withdrawal, which is the whole point of coming down off oxycodone; if you take xannax, then you are defeating the whole purpose of going through withdrawals to get off the oxy. Do you know what I mean by this?

So, do you want to come clean or not, then get off both, but do you have help doing this ?

Tick

Jun 28, 2011, 04:38 PM
    Comment on tickle's post
    No I haven't told anyone about my problem so no I have zero help rite now. I thought xannax wasn't an opiat and that if I took it id sleep better while not taking anymore oxy. I can't take nuthing or id have to go to a clinic and don't want too. I already took 40 miligrams of oxy a half hour ago when the withdrawels got most exstreme as I've ever waited to feel. Musta went at least 28 hours since last dose when I took it. But honestly you never really answered my Q? I'm not currently a xannax user. Have access and would rather take some to sleep and also so I don't eat anymore oxy tonight

Jun 28, 2011, 04:42 PM
    Comment on tickle's post
    How's xannax deafeting the purpose of getting off oxy? Not trying to replace my drug either. Want to know if its safe now to take 1 miligram of xannax the first few nites of me getting used to taking enough oxy to stop withdrawels. Seeings it's a benzo I know its not a good mix but if I wait say 4 hours and only take 1 milligram of xannax, is that safe? I only took 40 milligrams of oxycodone. Its not like I want to take a little oxycontin or that would truly defeat the purpose.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 28, 2011, 04:56 PM

Don't take Xanax with Oxycodone. Your system is already compromised. There's a chance you will have problems with CNS and respiratory depression and become dopey and sloppy and uncoordinated.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jun 28, 2011, 05:41 PM

I know its not good to mix the two
    You said it yourself. You know it's not good to mix the two, so no, it's not okay. We won't tell you to do something that will harm you.

I know you're ashamed. You don't want people to know. I get that. The thing is, you have an addiction, and trying to deal with it by yourself is not going to help. Your post alone shows that. You're willing to risk your health by mixing meds just to avoid telling anyone.

You need professional help. Go to a detox clinic. No one needs to know. Tell them you're going on vacation. Just get to detox and get clean. It's not going to be easy, but you yourself said you have strong will power, so prove it! :)

I know you can do this.
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Jun 28, 2011, 05:49 PM

There are several problems with Xanax (Alprazolam) independently. 1) you are not familiar with it's action, how you will respond to it, 2) dosage in combination with any other drug would need to be carefully balanced, and 3) Xanax sometimes causes a rebound effect, that is when you quit taking it, or as it wears off, you could experience extreme anxiety, depression. This response is not necessarily withdrawal after long-term use.

I can understand your need to reduce and minimize withdrawal symptoms from oxy. Always unpleasant but best handled as you are currently doing, gradual reduction. At least with oxy you can reasonably anticipate the symptoms and adjust your intake accordingly. I would recommend you read up on how others have reduced their dosage. Too rapid and its becomes self-defeating.

Gradually reducing dosage to cessation is common, frequently used and effective. In fact, it's the same system that would be used if medically supervised, in most cases. It is of course preferable, and safer, to have competent specialty assistance but it seems you've decided against that.

The most potent force you have going for you is your desire to quit. That cannot be overemphasized. Once you get through the physical dependence stage you should be fine. It will cause you discomfort but you will make it.

By the way, don't downplay the fact that you stopped smoking. Cigarette smoking is one of the most complex addictions ever studied. I and many others believe it is more difficult than any opiate, although the acute withdrawal is not as severe. You did that and you can do this. Keep us posted.
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Jun 29, 2011, 10:27 PM
    Just get clean and have flu for a day.If you TRULY want to get clean you will Duke it out ! Its no big deal!Stop making excuses and do what you want to do,if if fact you want sobriety.

Tell your friend your on probation so he stops messing with you.Tell him you got busted and he will leave you alone.
    Rhap__sody Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 5, 2013, 12:55 PM
    "Just get clean and have flu for a day"!. Really can't believe this was the answer?? If it was that simple then opiate wouldn't be a prob for anyone EVER. Sort of answer my judgemental mum who doesn't listen would give!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

28 bit or 48 bit LBA Hard Drive? [ 2 Answers ]

I was told that if I do a fresh install of the original Windows XP, I will create a 28 bit LBA hard drive, that cannot be changed to a 48 bit hard drive, even if I update XP to Service Pack 1, 2, or 3. After hours of reading, it is my understanding that 48 bit LBA hard drives are "manufactured"...

Dog bit lip won't stop bleeding [ 2 Answers ]

My american eskimo got into an argument with my rottweiler, he wasn't hurt to badly but he got bit on his lip and now it won't stop bleeding. What can I do to stop the bleeding?

A computer has 32-bit instructions and 12-bit addresses [ 3 Answers ]

A computer has 32-bit instructions and 12-bit addresses. Suppose there are 250 2-address instructions. How many 1-address instructions, if any can be formulated?Explain.

View more questions Search