Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    QLP Posts: 980, Reputation: 656

Jun 27, 2011, 05:23 AM
    Best realtime security protection
    Have had a scare recently where a trojan got in, and although it was picked up and quarantined by AVG free, it had already done the damage. The result was a phone call from my bank alerting to me the fact that someone had got into my accounts and tried to withdraw all my cash. :eek:

Just got that sorted and got another trojan that locked up most of my computer. No real harm done this time, just a few hours sorting the little blighter out.

Time for some suped up protection.
    Has anyone got recommendations please? Don't mind paying, but would prefer not to pay more than necessary but do want something really effective.

Don't mind too much if it's a bit heavy handed, more bothered about efficiency than speed etc.

Needs to work on a laptop with windows 7.

Thanks.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jun 27, 2011, 05:46 AM
    You can look here for peer-reviewed free apps. Best Free Antivirus Software
    Personally I use MSE, it seems to be the most widely accepted best free AV app out there.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jun 27, 2011, 05:49 AM
    The best form of defence is paranoia mode. Trust no one while one line.

Use of a more secure browser is the first thing you need to do.
    So STOP using IE as it's a target for malware.

That being said you do also need anti-virus and anti malware applications.
    My preference is for separate programs, avoid these all in one security suites.
    Multi-faceted defence is a better response.

In my working life I spend a lot of time in "dodgy" areas and yet I have never been harmed by anything untoward.

It pays dividends to be wary

Jun 27, 2011, 08:25 AM

Well I was using Firefox as a browser. Then it recently upgraded and my computer was crashing every five minutes. I ended up switching to internet explorer. I have an issue with this too as it won't let me turn protection mode on. It lets me tick the box but doesn't turn on after restart.

Some googling brought up suggestions that avg may be causing the problems with both Firefox and IE protect. Don't know if that is correct.

Anyway I thought it best to get a good antivirus. I have other malware tools like malware bytes, and superantispyware but want some good first line virus defense, then sort out my browser.

Have just been looking at MSE, seems to get good reviews for a freebie. Will I get better if I pay?

I won't ask what dodgy sites you visit lol curly, but what antivirus do you use that keeps you safe?
    Uber Member

Jun 27, 2011, 08:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by QLP View Post
    Have just been looking at MSE, seems to get good reviews for a freebie. Will I get better if I pay?
    I don't think so. Norton/Symantec will bog down your system so much and it's become buggy. I use MSE. For a browser we only use Firefox with AdBlock and the laptop that my wife and two use had never had a problem.

Jun 27, 2011, 03:01 PM

I got the AV installed and Firefox seems to be working again, fingers crossed. Just time for a full scan before bed then see how everything is working tomorrow, looking OK so far.

Thanks guys.
    Uber Member

Jun 27, 2011, 05:04 PM
    No problem. I'm doing the same thing (full scan with MSE) for a friend's computer right now.
    udaysz Posts: 13, Reputation: 5

Sep 23, 2011, 08:57 AM
    Your AVG antivirus program is good enough but there are some more things you really should care about. You can have a free personal firewall I recommend comodo firewall:
    http://personalfirewall.comodo.com/free-download.html
    And most of the spyware can be removed by spybot search and destroy:
    Www.safer-networking.org/en/download
    But some tracking cookies are invisible to spybot so you can use "adware":
    Www.lavasoft.com/products/ad_aware_free.php
    Better to have a email client I prefer : mozilla's thunderbird
    And I prefer Firefox browser for security reasons don't use the beta versions
    After all it is cool to have an internet security software also...
    bun39 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2012, 04:06 PM
    I agree with udaysz, Comodo is the best protection. It costs nothing, and has the protection of 100 Nortons. It's got cloud security, Geekbuddy, and a good sandbox and firewall.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Realtime Player works in Facebook mode but not Library ? I know 'you' know! [ 1 Answers ]

Im not going into what has brought me here (read other posts). Why will Realtime Player work reviewing a video on Facebook but NOT play what's stored in the Library?? I have had some 'issues' lately one being after a Windows 7 SP1 update my Abode Flash was done. I have had that squared for 3 yrs??...

Security Deposit: Am I entitled to the full security deposits based on the following [ 5 Answers ]

Can a NY landlord, claim charges for the following: 1. cleaning an apartment myself? 2. an extra dog kept without landlord's permission 3. companion that lived for two months in the apartment without the landlord's permission.

Supplemental security income and social security disability income? [ 2 Answers ]

If you are approved for supplemental security income and social security disability will you get full benefits from both or will it get cut in half and if your children receive ssi will their benefit be effected?

View more questions Search