Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ChemCatalyst Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2007, 03:39 PM
    Copper (II) Oxide + Sulfuric Acid
    When you are combining Copper (II) Oxide with Sulfuric Acid, would you need to keep the '2' in Cu when working with Cu2O + H2SO4? I don't really know how else to word my question.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Jan 30, 2007, 12:37 AM
    The (II) shows the valence state of the copper, By writing Cu2O you have shown the valence state as Oxygen has a fixed valence, so it is no longer necessary.

Is this what you were asking?

Jan 30, 2007, 05:18 AM
    Not exactly. I'm just trying to figure out how I would combine copper (II) oxide with sulfuric acid. The only thing I'm not sure of is whether I am supposed to keep the subscripts when combining them or not.
    Uber Member

Jan 30, 2007, 05:23 AM
    The subscripts show the amount of each atom in the molecule. In Cu2O there are 2 copper atoms and an oxygen atom.

I still don't quite understand what you mean by "keeping" it

Jan 30, 2007, 05:38 AM
    When I am trying to predict the products, would it be Cu2SO4 + H2O, or would it be CuSO4 + OH, or what? Does that make sense?
    Uber Member

Jan 30, 2007, 05:41 AM
    Yes sort of. You don't need to keep the number, no, as long as there are an equal amount of each atom on each side, to make it a balanced reaction.

You have to work out what the products are through chemical knowledge, then balance the equation to make the numbers right.

Jan 30, 2007, 02:05 PM
    Thanks for all your help.
    Uber Member

Jan 30, 2007, 02:14 PM
    *tips hat*

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Acid did not go down [ 5 Answers ]

I was told by the guy at the hardware store that if plunging and using a snake don't work, try sulfuric acid. I bought a bottle and followed the instructions, but it didn't seem to work. The instructions say to flush five times when the drain is open, but I don't think it is and I'm afraid of...

Sodium carbonate + sulfuric acid [ 11 Answers ]

What is the product of sodium carbonate + sulfuric acid?

A/C not cooling, Small Copper pipe COLD and Large Copper pipe room temp. [ 4 Answers ]

I just moved into a newly constructed townhome and the a/c units are of course new. The A/c is not cooling at all. The machine inside turns on as well as the one outside. The inside A/C makes a strange sucking sound kind of like if you were sipping something out of a cup with a straw and you ran...

Combining Nitrix Oxide With Caffenine [ 1 Answers ]

I Am Taking Nitrix Oxide & I Know Caffenine Should Not Be Combined With It. I Want To Know If It Would Interfere If I Had Caffenine Only Once A Week.

Acid rain [ 1 Answers ]

A biologist is testing the effects of acid rain on plant growth. She has 500 mL of a 12% acid solution, dut wants to use a 7% solution. To the nearest mL, how much water should she add to obtain the desired concentration?:eek:

View more questions Search