Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LadySam Posts: 1,589, Reputation: 322
    Cats Expert

Jun 26, 2011, 08:14 PM
    Mites in Chickens
    While watching my landlords animals this weekend I noticed that one of his chickens feet were "mangled" As I know zilch about chickens I'm going to throw this one to someone else. After he returned home I went back over to show him the chicken in question. He said she had scale mites. He treated the perches and the feet with a product that is formulated to kill fleas.(Not sure I can mention the brand name) What does he need to do to as far as invironment etc. so that it doesn't affect the other chickens?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jun 26, 2011, 08:53 PM

I wish I had some advice, but the only thing I know about chickens is that they taste really good when bbq'd. ;)

Check back often, hopefully someone with chicken experience will come along and be able to offer some advice. I did a Google search, but I can't verify that it's reliable information. Best to get someone with hands on, or in this case wings on, experience. :)
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 26, 2011, 09:33 PM

My good friend Tony has had all kinds of (caged) birds for years. (Chickens are birds, right?) It's 11:30 in Chicagoland and Tony has gone to bed (silly working people), so I can't call him. I'll try him at work tomorrow and, if he has some ideas, probably talk longer with him at home tomorrow evening. I'll post one way or the other.
    paleophlatus Posts: 459, Reputation: 112

Jun 27, 2011, 12:03 AM
    Scaly leg mites. Google it for a host of sites and suggestions. Summary for treatment seems to be using petroleum jelly, or even motor oil on their feet to 'smother the mites'.
    I wonder about using food grade DE (diatomaceous earth) on the legs and around the roost. I checked a local Feed store. It comes in 50lb bags, or by the lb for half a buck a pound. Cheap enough and lots less messy. Google for it, as well?
    Cats Expert

Jun 27, 2011, 03:24 AM
    Thanks, As I would prefer some advice backed by personal experience, by all means Wondergirl ask your friend.
    I did Google The DE, wow a lot of stuff to filter trough. Thanks for that tip, after more research I may even try that for fleas here. This our first summer at this house and the fleas are really give us a battle I'd much rather use a natural product than the chemicals I recently sprayed.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jun 27, 2011, 04:55 AM
    If you have fleas around, I'd give up on the natural products.
    A can bomb in each room is the only way. I've found fleas even between mattress and box spring. And it means washing every article of clothing and bedding and towels and dishes afterwards.

I don't like them either, but I buy Frontline and put a drop or two on the back of my pets only when needed, not once a month.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 27, 2011, 12:50 PM

I called friend, reference librarian/cataloger, and lifelong bird-owner Tony. He concurred with paleo, that it could be scaly-leg mites and strongly suggested calling the state extension of the USDA.

Here's what the USDA site says:

Scaly-Leg Mites

The producer will often observe shanks or legs of birds that have scales that seem to protrude straight out from the leg. This problem is caused by small scaly-leg mites that bury under each scale and cause an irritation of the skin and the production of cells and substances that try to "wall-off" these mite parasites. Most free roaming chickens will have infestations of these mites but they seldom cause problems other than creating an irritation to the birds.

The Scaly-Leg Mite (Knemidocoptes mutans) lives under the scales on feet and legs of poultry. It also may attach to the comb and wattles. It causes a thickening of scales on the feet and legs that gives the impression that the scales are protruding directly outward, rather that laying flat on the limb. It spends its entire life cycle on the birds and spreads mainly by direct contact.

On further reading, the solution is to suffocate the mites. DE would be an easy and earth-friendly way to do that. (Tony roared as we talked about how much fun it would be to apply petroleum jelly to chickens' feet.)
    Cats Expert

Jun 27, 2011, 05:14 PM
    Thanks very helpful, and yes my landlord and I had that same response.
    Cats Expert

Jun 27, 2011, 06:10 PM
    Comment on joypulv's post
    Not a problem indoors yet, trying my best to prevent it, just nasty little critters.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why do chickens bully other chickens [ 1 Answers ]

I have chicken and its being bullied why

Is kfc mean to chickens [ 11 Answers ]

I have heard that kfc is mean to chickens the way thst they treat them when they are still alive I am worried because I love animals and I love kfc as well

Backyard Chickens [ 3 Answers ]

Recently I adopted 6 baby chicks. I built them a nice coop and a run in the back yard. I kepts them inside in a brooding coop until they had feathers. Now they are outside in their new coop. I let them out to roam the back yard outside of the run just about everyday. They have been growing very...

Baby Chickens [ 4 Answers ]

How Can You Tell If A Baby Chick Is A Boy Or Girl ?

Chickens [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone raise chickens in town? I am allowed to have chickens in town so I am building a chicken coop. I ordered some Leghorns and Rhode Island reds. Would like to know any "tricks" or info regarding the best way to handle them. Thanks.

View more questions Search