Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    davidadrian140 Posts: 124, Reputation: 2

Jun 25, 2011, 11:01 PM
    Open ground

Hey there everybody. Having a little bit of trouble here. I'm running a 20 amp line from my panel to my garage. This is how I ran my circuit. Power from panel to a regular outlet, then I ran three gfci outlets for outdoor. I have a hot and neutral wire only running from panel. Now for the gfci outlets I grounded them from the water proof box. First regular outlet is not grounded to box. When I test the outlets my tester reads open neutral.I've checked all connections and then double again. Can anyone tell me where is the problem here?
    Dr1757 Posts: 186, Reputation: 25

Jun 26, 2011, 02:01 AM

What size/type wire did you run from the panel to the first outlet? You can install one gfci outlet and feed the other standard outlets from it.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jun 26, 2011, 03:47 AM
    Which is it? Open ground or open neutral? You state both.

If you only have two wires, hot and neutral, an outlet tester will report an open ground.

If you just installed this wiring as new, why only two conductors, and no equipment ground? There should be no reason to be missing an equipment ground.

Are you sure the waterproof box is grounded? How is it grounded?

Jun 26, 2011, 08:02 AM

I'm sorry. It reads open ground. It was my understanding that when there is only two wires hot and neutral the conduit is the ground. The conduit runs to the service panel. So then would I be wrong?
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Jun 26, 2011, 09:15 AM

I thought the same think as TK, then I noticed the OP is in Ill. conduit country.

The conduit might be compromised somewhere discontinuing the grounding path. This is why I ALWAYS run a grounding conductor regardless of the type of conduit.
    Also, did you connect a jumper from the devices to the boxes?

Jun 26, 2011, 03:07 PM

Well guys, I'd like thank you guys once again for your input. I've learned something new today. Always run a grounding conductor regardless of the type of conduit. TK my outdoor outlet boxes where in fact NOT grounded properly. This is why my tester read open ground. Thanks for your input. This is why I love consulting ASK ME HELP DESK. Thanks again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Electrical open ground [ 3 Answers ]

I have an open circuit problem according to a plug in light tester what's the best way to find out where the break is? Do I have to check all recep. fixtures,switches. I have a volt meter. There is plastic and metal boxes and all is 2 wire romex

Open ground [ 2 Answers ]

I live in a 45-50 year old house. I tested all my outlets with a tester and all my outlets read open ground. All of my outlets are two prong no third hole for a grounded plug. I used a three prong adapter with my tester. Is this normal for an older home or do I have an electrical problem

Open ground reading [ 11 Answers ]

I replace an outlet in my basement. Was attached to a work bench now it is hanging. After switching the outlet I tested it and I get an open ground reading. What did I do wrong?

Open Ground Outlet [ 2 Answers ]

I am in the process of selling my house. The home inspection identified 2 outlets in one room as having an open ground. When I test the outlets with a receptacle tester it indicates an open ground. When I use a voltage tester, one end in the hot slot the other in the ground, it lights up. Why...

Open ground when neutral not touching ground [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I was moving around a room and noticed my wife wanted her desk elsewhere. I decided to, since she would have her computer on it, check the outlet she would be moving to. It seemed old so I changed it. I noticed before I changed it that with my GFCI tester, all sockets on this circuit were...

View more questions Search