Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cedar100 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2007, 02:30 PM
    L1 visa tax return filing for dependents, self
    Iam on L1 visa workpermit in US, Foreign National, resident alien, (2005-2006) worked from sep-05 to Apr-06 as Single status (ie,. I did not bring my dependents).
    Returned to home country in 2006 April, and back to US again in Oct-06 to till date with dependents (ie wife + kids).
    I received my W2, as I read from IRS website for filling instructions for W7 for all dependents.
    I would like to know what all documents should I need to sent to file for state, federal returns.

Appreciate suggestions/instructions to file for reasonable fee. I did Efiled last year online with reasonable price with single status.

Thanks
    Juga
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 29, 2007, 03:38 PM
    Juga:

Since a non-resident tax return cannot be filed electronically, you must have filed as a resident alien in 2005. If your entry in the U.S. in September 2005 was the first time you entered the U.S. then you probably filed incorrectly when you efiled last year. You had not yet met the Substantial Presence Test in 2005 and did not meet criteria to file as a resident alien. If you intend to ever apply for immigrant status (green card), you must correct that error by amending your return with Form 1040X and attaching a properly-prepared Form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ.

As an L-1 in 2006, you have met the Substantial Presence Test and can file as a dual-status alien. However, since you are married, you and your wife can filed jointly and have the option of choosing to be treated as resident aliens for the entire year. You MAY be able to claim your child (not sure on this; will need to know what your country of origin is and exact date of entry for child). If you can claim him, you will be eligible for the Child Tax Credit, but NOT the Earned Income Credit.

If you need professional tax help, you can contact me at [email protected].

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tax Return for H3b Visa holder [ 1 Answers ]

A friend of mine is currently working in th U.S on a H-3B visa. She has been advised that she can only claim back $602 of the $2335,62 in Federal Tax that she has paid in over the last year... is this possible ?

Penalty fee for filing tax return late [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have been asked by the IRS to file tax return for the tax period 12-31-2005. By the time, I was an international student in the U.S. working as an independent contractor. I received the 1099 Misc Form from my former company showing the total amount of 18600 USD in box 7. Since I...

Tax Return for H1B visa holder -expenses- [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am on H1B visa since this Oct. 2nd. My OPT expired on June 2006, so I went back to Japan and stayed there Until end of Sept. My company hold my position while I am gone since I was supposed to apply last year (Due date was so quick so I could not Apply, but company promissed they'll...

State tax filing for F1 visa holder - spouse has no ITIN/SSN [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, I am a student on an F-1 visa , and have a wife on an F-2 dependent visa. I can file the federal tax forms without an ITIN for my wife as I will be completing a W7 to apply for an ITIN. How can I claim my wife on any of the state tax forms, as they ask for the spouse's ITIN? Thanks in...

F1 To H1B tax return filing [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I want to know what form should I use to file my returns? Here is the information on my status. I came in USA in August 2001 on a student visa. I got my OPT in Jan 2004. And I joined a consulting firm and started earning from May 2004. Meanwhile my status was changed from F1 to...

View more questions Search