Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lavina Posts: 31, Reputation: 9

Jan 29, 2007, 02:30 PM
    stats question
    I'm trying to figure out a problem in stats where you can find the probability of a deck of cards. Specifically, a deck of 52 cards, 13 hearts, diamonds, clovers, and spades. The first pic would be a heart. So what is the probably of the second pick being a diamond, clover, or a spade?
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Jan 29, 2007, 02:43 PM
    How many cards are left? How many cards are diamond, clover or spade? What's the chance of picking diamond, clover or spade? - think it through

Jan 29, 2007, 02:55 PM
    Okay, you know I get all of that. After the first pick there will be 51 cards left. The first pick may have been a heart, that leaves 12 hearts, and 13 spades, clovers, and diamonds. I managed to get myself confused here, it may be simple but its my first time in a stats class.
    galactus Posts: 2,271, Reputation: 282
    Ultra Member

Jan 29, 2007, 04:11 PM
    A clover?. That's a good one. I'll use that term the next time I play cards and see what looks I get. By the way, those 'clovers' are called clubs.

If your first pick is a heart, then what's the probability of the next card being a heart, club, or diamond?

Assuming no replacement, there are 51 cards left in the deck: 13 hearts, 13 clubs, 13 diamonds and 12 hearts.

The probability the next draw will be a heart, club or diamond is then..

Jan 29, 2007, 04:55 PM
    Okay, think I got it. Sorry they look like clovers to me, I'm not a card player. I'll remember that the next time. Thanks!
    galactus Posts: 2,271, Reputation: 282
    Ultra Member

Jan 29, 2007, 05:51 PM
    Yes, they do look like clovers. Who knows where the club came from. Medieval times, probably. Anyway, what did you get for an answer?
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Jan 30, 2007, 01:35 AM
    The clubs represent peasants, with the spades representing nobility, and the other 2 between. I had assumed you might be european where they might use clovers, I know they use acorns in Germany

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Stats question [ 1 Answers ]

I'm really not understanding this question either. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Replacement times for new Ford Taurus GL automobiles are normally distributed with a mean of 7.1 years and a standard deviation of 1.4 years. Find the probability that seven randomly selected Taurus...

Stats [ 2 Answers ]

I do stats for our softball team, here's my ? Bases are loaded and the pitcher walks the batter, does the batter get credit for a RBI?

SPSS Stats/Question [ 2 Answers ]

What statistcal tool do I use in SPSS to correlate grades from a test (expressed as a percent) with a letter grade from another class? Thanks, Allie

Baseball stats [ 6 Answers ]

1. Can bases on balls disrupt a consecutive game hitting streak? 2. What was the record for bases on balls in a season prior to 1960?

Site Stats [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. Looking for a place that offers free (don't have to pay money) site stats. It NEEDS to be able to tell which page was requested. For example, I need it to be able to tell the difference between "ikonboard.cgi" and "ikonboard.cgi?refer=dj_bri_t" AND be able to tell me how many times they got...

View more questions Search