Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    robankn Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 24, 2011, 11:21 PM
    Been paying c/s for years now but not enough according to the courts
    I have been been paying $550 month and health care costs to the mother of my 11 year old son since he was born and we never had paternity established or any court order to pay. This was simply a verbal agreement to pay that amount. I have now been granted guardianship over my son and he is nearing the age that he can state a preference and if he goes back to live with his mother, the state will determine that I owe $1150 per month in child support. Can they also go back and collect support from those years that I only paid $550? If so, how far back can they go? We did not have paternity established for those years but do now.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jun 25, 2011, 06:12 AM

There are a few things happening here.

1) Do you have a record of the payments you did make so far?

2) What state are you in or the state the child support order will be through ?

3) The child never chooses which parent to live with. Its always the courts decision. Stating a preference does not make it so. The courts reserve the right of "best interest of the child".

Jun 30, 2011, 07:29 AM
    I do have a record of all payments made and I live in Oklahoma
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Jun 30, 2011, 08:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by robankn View Post
    I have been been paying $550 month and health care costs to the mother of my 11 year old son since he was born and we never had paternity established or any court order to pay. this was simply a verbal agreement to pay that amount. I have now been granted guardianship over my son and he is nearing the age that he can state a preference and if he goes back to live with his mother, the state will determine that I owe $1150 per month in child support. Can they also go back and collect support from those years that I only paid $550? If so, how far back can they go? We did not have paternity established for those years but do now.
    Who told you that you'll owe $1,150 per month in child support? What I'm reading here:
    OSCN Found Document:Computation of Child Support Obligation - Percentage of Combined Gross Income of Both Parents - Computation for Each Parent Required - Transportation Expenses - Support Order - Summary Form - Social Security Numbers Required
    Is that child support is based on both parents' income, not solely your income.

Assuming that your case is in Oklahoma, you can go here:
    OKDHS - Child Support Calculator
    To get a rough estimate of who would owe what in child support based upon who the child resides with primarily.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 30, 2011, 09:04 AM

And the courts may not even accept the money you paid as child support, since there was no order for child support though the courts. When we say a record, do you have copies of cancelled checks, or some other proof that they got the money, not just a list of when you paid.

Jul 3, 2011, 05:03 PM
    I have the cancelled checks for every month I have paid support. The figure of $1150 did come from the OKDHS website.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I have been paying her $600/mo. For almost 3 years and she won't sign [ 21 Answers ]

I am in the US Army. I am married but have been separated for 3 years now. I have been paying her $600/mo. Plus full medical coverage. I am ready to move on and I have filed the papers twice but she won't sign them. Please help me with any advise you have. She is only after the money which is...

After 5 years of handing checks to my husbands ex she decides to go through courts! [ 3 Answers ]

My husbands ex wife after 5 years of handing her cash for support her boyfriend is getting her to do child support through court, she wants money from him for back support when he has never been late but he missed a month because he lost his job. But he was out of work for 4 months but paid her...

3.5 years long distance, now she needs time, paying for me to visit? [ 102 Answers ]

After 2.5 years of long distance, different regions of the country, we were planning on being in same area after college. She is now employed and I'm in grad school, but we didn't end up in the same location, due to financial reasons. Just went 3 months w/o seeing each other and we got to spend...

Been paying for 13 years [ 1 Answers ]

My wife and I have lived in my parents house with them for the last 13 years, my dad passed away about 5 years ago, and then we took care of my mom, by paying all the bills, including the mortgage and taxes. Unfortunately my mom passes away about 1 year ago, and even though she said that she had...

Paying off a loan in less than 30 years [ 15 Answers ]

I keep hearing that you can actually pay off your 30year loan in less time. I also heard that if you pay extra on your principal each month you can do it. Is this true? How can I pay off my loan without getting broke.:confused:

View more questions Search