Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Jun 24, 2011, 03:47 PM
    Prenup for debt?
    I've been doing some research and learned that a couple can sign a prenuptial agreement so that one person's debt doesn't affect the other person's credit. Is this true? Is this applicable in Oregon? How much would such an agreement cost to draw up and sign? Would we need a lawyer to do this for us or help us? If so, how much would that cost? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!!
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jun 24, 2011, 05:33 PM

This is a slippery slope because once married you will be associated with them while the marriage lasts. Another thing is that the debt if active can be collected on and it will effect the overall finances of the marriage. Im not sure it can be done to isolate yourself completely from an obligation other then it would be their obligation. Its just the offshoot of it will leave a mark in what you both shall have.
    Vision Expert

Jun 25, 2011, 01:40 AM

Im going to be honest, I don't understand what you're saying.
    Internet Research Expert

Jun 25, 2011, 05:51 AM

That is OK. Let me try it this way.

Lets say your partner owes $25,000. And you want to marry. The $25,000 is owed to a bank or credit card. No suit has been filed for collection. Its just in the collections stage. So you marry. The debt is ignored until your partner is taken to court and a judgement is placed upon them. In reality it is their debt anyway. In truth it will effect both of you as a couple. The debt will still burden the marriage no matter who's name is on it.

It will until paid off reduce your purchasing capacity as a couple. It may disqualify you "both" from getting a join loan (like for a home). If the debt is high enough and they can't repay it then they should consider some type of bankruptcy if it is an available option. Before the marriage takes place. Then you can start on a fresh footing.

Even with a prenup should they pass away first in later years, the debt will still have to be dealt with. There is no way around it.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 25, 2011, 07:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ChihuahuaMomma View Post
    I've been doing some research and learned that a couple can sign a prenuptial agreement so that one person's debt doesn't affect the other person's credit. Is this true? Is this applicable in Oregon? How much would such an agreement cost to draw up and sign? Would we need a lawyer to do this for us or help us? If so, how much would that cost? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!!!

No, not true - a prenup would not cover this specific concern. Those ads in the newspaper that state Y is not responsible for the debts of her husband, Z, are meaningless - joint accounts and joint property CAN (and will) be seized if the matter goes to Judgment.

You also cannot control what the credit reporting companies report, but HIS debts do not get listed on your report. If they do through some error, you can get that corrected. However, you will not be able to get any JOINT loans, mortgages, lines of credit if HIS credit is bad.

Unless you have totally separate bank accounts, totally separate assets, you could very well end up being responsible for his debts because what is joint belongs 100% to either one of you. I know it doesn't make sense unless you're very familiar with it but if you have a joint account it can all be seized for his debt or all seized for you debt. There is no magic dividing line.
    Vision Expert

Jun 25, 2011, 09:30 PM

First off, were not talking about credit debts. They are small debts owed to companies. The total does not exceed $5k. The debts are mine, not his. I was told that a prenup can black my credit score from affecting his... I did not read this in a newspaper...
    Internet Research Expert

Jun 26, 2011, 05:35 AM

If there are no joint loans being applied for then your score wouldn't effect his. From what your stateing a prenup would cost you more then the interest on the outstanding loan/s. I know people want things to be perfect when starting but with what your saying I woulndnt really concern myself over it and just work on paying it off asap if it's a bother.
    Vision Expert

Jun 26, 2011, 08:41 AM

Ok. Thank you for the information

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Prenup Agreement - is NY one of those states where property you own before marriage are [ 1 Answers ]

Through this website I understand that under California and Washington laws the property you own before marriage remains your separate property as a matter of law. Is that same for New York ?

Step-Father Signed both Prenup and Postnup Agreements to Support Step-Child [ 6 Answers ]

My husband signed both a prenuptial and a post-nuptial agreement to educate, maintain and support my children, his step-children. My husband sued me and my children (his step-children) over the agreements several years back but changed his mind and signed a release of all claims, an agreed...

Prenup in Common Law vs Community Property State [ 1 Answers ]

I am planning on getting married and want to do a prenuptial agreement. We haven’t totally decided where to live but it would be in either Washington or Oregon. With respect to a prenuptial and preserving what assets I have before marriage in the event of divorce, would it be more advantageous to...

Custody based on prenup? [ 2 Answers ]

I was reading a post and had a thought... Can a couple get a prenup that states that if they are to have children, in case of a divorce the children would be in sole custody of the mother (or father, whatever) provided they were deemed fit to parent? Is it possible, and would it hold up in court? ...

Marriage Prenup [ 1 Answers ]

I have to ask a Question I am in Ontario Canada and I have been married now for Almost 5 years.My Husband has gotten me to sign a Marriage prenup which I don't have a problem with in ways.I believe in a Marriage you share everything but his Grandmother has past away and left him her house which...

View more questions Search