Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    earl237 Posts: 532, Reputation: 57

Jun 24, 2011, 02:58 PM
    Red wine health benefits
    Does anyone know if cheap red wines have the same health benefits and more expensive ones. I always get cheap ones in boxes or bottles with a screw top lid. I'm not picky about taste but I want to get the maximum health benefits.
    Omphalos Posts: 2, Reputation: -2

Jun 24, 2011, 03:21 PM
    Most likely not, as really cheap red wine is grape juice reconstituted with grain alcohol.

To make sure you are getting real wine with the health benefits you are looking for, look for an alcohol percentage of over 12% (its not the alcohol that is providing any health benefit, it just indicates that you are buying real wine).

Most box wine is between 7 and 9%, but some real wine is now being sold in boxes. Look for funny shaped boxes, you should be able to get four liters of wine for about $18 or $20, which is like $4 or $5 a bottle, or even cheaper.

Jun 24, 2011, 05:41 PM
    Thanks, most of the cheap wines I buy are 11% so that's pretty close.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jun 25, 2011, 12:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Omphalos View Post
    Most likely not, as really cheap red wine is grape juice reconstituted with grain alcohol.

To make sure you are getting real wine with the health benefits you are looking for, look for an alcohol percentage of over 12% (its not the alcohol that is providing any health benefit, it just indicates that you are buying real wine).

Most box wine is between 7 and 9%, but some real wine is now being sold in boxes. Look for funny shaped boxes, you should be able to get four liters of wine for about $18 or $20, which is like $4 or $5 a bottle, or even cheaper.
    What complete and utter RUBBISH.
    Grain Alcohol is NEVER put with red grape juice to make wine!!
    This whole response is totally incorrect and misleading.

Jun 25, 2011, 06:29 AM
    Thanks Curlyben, I know you've been here a long time and you know your stuff.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jun 25, 2011, 10:59 AM
    Earl, sorry I should have answered your question.

Problem is it really depends on who you have been following for these supposed health benefits, as the advice changes regularly.
    If you're really interested in the benefits from Red wine a simple supplement would be better suited as the "good stuff" is more concentrated. (dried tablet form)
    Save the drinking for the enjoyment it brings with good company and food..
    nelsoo Posts: 18, Reputation: 2

Aug 11, 2011, 07:53 PM
    Oh, sorry. I have not a deep knowledge of red wine. I just drink dry red wine. But sometimes the dry red wine is so dreary.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cooking wine vs dry red wine [ 16 Answers ]

Hi all: Thank you for reading/responding to this post. I am making what I hope will be a rich, yummy roasted onion soup... the recipe calls for dry red wine... my wife picked up a red cooking wine... will this work, or be too strong? Or should I just go get that dry red wine..? Any help...

Red wine [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, my husbands likes Red wine and is happy to pay quite a lot for a good bottle. It is his 40th birthday coming up and I would like to get him a special birthday bottle - can you recommend one? I am happy to pay £60 plus for a special bottle. He likes all sorts from French to Chillian to Spanish....

Red Wine Health [ 2 Answers ]

I have heard of the many health benefits of red wine and I was wondering if certain kinds are more healthy than others or are they all about the same. I always pick a dry red wine, because I have to watch my sugar intake.

Red Wine [ 2 Answers ]

Can someone tell me is it OK to use red wine for cooking which has been opened for 6 - 8 weeks, it has been kept at a low temperature.

Red Wine [ 5 Answers ]

After I open a bottle of red wine how should it be stored and for how long will it be good?

View more questions Search