Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DallasGreenGirl Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 24, 2011, 10:32 AM
    Is it legal to keep a copy of someone's ID (driver's) in the lease file?
    Once the lease file is complete and the resident is moved in, is it legal to keep a copy of the resident's ID in the file?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jun 24, 2011, 10:36 AM

Certainly.

Why do you ask?

The document might be helpful if the tenant's identity or contact information is ever at issue.

In fact a prudent landlord will want more than that in the file, including references, and the tenant's employment information.
    DallasGreenGirl Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 24, 2011, 12:45 PM
    Comment on AK lawyer's post
    I have been in property management for for 5 years and just started with a new company in which they want the IDs in the file, but I have always be taught that you do not keep a copy of ID once the person is approved and lease file is complete.
    Expert

Jun 24, 2011, 12:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DallasGreenGirl View Post
    I have been in property mangement for for 5 years and just started with a new company in which they want the IDs in the file, but I have always be taught that you do not keep a copy of ID once the person is approved and lease file is complete.
    I don't have any idea what your previous employers were afraid of.

If your new company has told you to keep the copy in the file, you had best do so.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 24, 2011, 01:47 PM

I have been in property mangement for for 5 years and just started with a new company in which they want the IDs in the file, but I have always be taught that you do not keep a copy of ID once the person is approved and lease file is complete.

Who taught you this?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 24, 2011, 02:07 PM

Yes, one should keep it, good proof that they were the ones renting. But landlords, rental agency, places of employment, medical faclilities all keep copies.

I can only assume that your older companies merely did not want to keep a lot of paper work on hand, but they were destroying good proof of ID if and when they ever had trouble latter.
    LittleJeannie Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2012, 06:29 PM
    Can a landlord ask for ask for information from one renter and not another. Can they be unfair?
    Expert

Jul 26, 2012, 08:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleJeannie View Post
    Can a landlord ask for ask for information from one renter and not another. Can they be unfair?
    Sure can.

As long as they don't practice discrimination on the basis of certain prohibited classifications.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Copy of legal documents [ 3 Answers ]

Anytime I sign a document, Do I have the right to a copy of the document I sign??

Get copy of lease [ 2 Answers ]

Is there a sit I can go to to get a copy of my lease I missed placed it and now I need it

Request copy of Driver's License? [ 2 Answers ]

It is my understanding that we can ask for a copy of a person's Driver's License, but not insist if they prefer not to cooperate. Is it legal to ask for the copy? Thanks

Copy of lease [ 4 Answers ]

If I haven't received a copy of my signed lease 3-4 months after I signed it, can get out of this lease by considering it void?

Copy.exe file [ 1 Answers ]

When I double click on the hard drives it give an error saying copy.exe file not found But when I highlight that drive and right click from the mouse it gives me the content of the drive Let me know the solution for this I also have another question Whenever I restart/start my...

View more questions Search