Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rex123 Posts: 766, Reputation: 100

Jun 24, 2011, 10:29 AM
    Cleaning cats abscess, and keeping it cleaned
    Well, its been a very long time since I have been on this site. I am doing well, I have finished my first year if my 2 year practical nursing program. My dog, Rex is doing great, but I need a li'l help with my new friend.

A few months ago a cat started hanging around my house, he was dirty, skinny, and almost like a feral cat. He was scared to death of everyone. I put up flyers, of a lost cat but no one responded. I began feeding the cat whom I named Dakota and after some research I set about "taming him" getting him used to people. I knew from the first time I saw him that I was going to rescue him, he was going to be my cat. So I would feed him every night, and sit out near where he was eating, just talking to him, getting him used to me. I spent countless hours every night actually outside with him, in the cold and in the rain. After about a month he would let me pet him. After 2 he let me flea treat him, and treat him for worms. After a few months he let me put a collar on him. And finally he let me hold him. Then I started feeding him inside. He had never been in a house before, so I would leave my door open, and set the food just inside the door, that way he could come in and leave whenever he wanted. We then booked an appointment to get him neutered and tested for feline leukemia.

We took him in and all went fine although we had a lot of trouble with the vet, they told us that he had multiple puncture wounds which was clear, because he had many sores, especially on his paws. They gave him a shot of convenia, which they never even told us about, and I don't think it worked, because about a day later I noticed a lump on Dakota's neck. I mentioned this to many people but no one seemed to be able to feel it but me. So I let it go for the time being. We continued cleaning all his other wounds which healed well. But then the "lump" busted. It was an abscess. We kept it clean, and it scabbed over. We assumed it had healed but afew days ago it started filling back up. Then yesterday it burst. More research and I found that in order for an abscess to heal you must continuously take the scab off so it heal from the inside out. So please, how chould I clean his abscess and keep it clean so it doesn't keep coming back.

Also he has 2 more open wounds on one of his back paws, one on the paw and one on his leg, we've been keeping them clean but they are taking a while to heal. How can we heal them faster, should we cover them, if so what should we use to cover them, also should we cover his neck where the abscess is. I was very dissapointed with the vet down here as they told me he had multiple puncture wounds, but never told me how I could care for them.

LadySam Posts: 1,589, Reputation: 322
    Cats Expert

Jun 24, 2011, 10:01 PM
    First of all, Congrats on your schooling. I was an LPN for about 8 years before I started working with animals. I loved it, I wish you well there. Sorry, I veered. Anyway cat abcesses are nasty buggers. While some may heal on their own, at the very least he should be on an antibiotics. Yes that is what Convenia is, probably given because cats are just difficult at times to medicate, but there are oral meds which could be an option for you. As far as the larger abcess goes, sometimes they need some help healing by placing penrose drains or surgery to clean out and keep the would flushed. Perhaps there is another Veterinarian in your area that a friend or family member could suggest that would more suit your needs. Also because he was feral and has been in many struggles it seems. If you haven't already, I would speak to the Vet about testing him for felines viruses that are passed from cat to cat in these fights. Good Luck and enjoy your new friend.
    rex123 Posts: 766, Reputation: 100

Jun 25, 2011, 04:50 AM
    Comment on LadySam's post
    Thank you for your answer. The reason I had such a hard time with the vet was because of me being a student, I had asked help from my local spca, as well as another group for homeless cats to help with the costs. They agreed, and I was told I would have to pay a certain amount. But when we went to get the cat back the vet would'nt accept some of the help from the 2 groups so I was left paying over triple of what I thought I would have to pay. I told them I didn't have the money, and they said I wouldn't be able to take my cat, it would have to stay there with them.Did they not even care that I was only trying to help this poor abandoned kitty? So I paid out of my student loan cause there was no way I was leaving him there with them. Also they never told me they gave him that shot, I noticed it later on the bill, and I told them to call me if there was any extra costs, which they didn't. I'm going to try and tackle the abscess myself this time, as the vet was not much help last time.
    Cats Expert

Jun 25, 2011, 06:04 AM
    I am sorry to hear that the situation was handled in that manner, but my hat's off to you for stepping up and doing what you felt was right. Try this link http://www.snap123.org/about.html ,because I don't know where you are I'm not sure it will be of any value to you. This particular organization covers a lot of ground. I know it says Spay/Neuter but the ones in my area also provide other services when the occasion calls for it. Can't hurt to contact them, they may even know of an organization in your area that can provide you some assistance. Good Luck.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 25, 2011, 06:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by LadySam View Post
    I don't know where you are
    If you look under her username you will notice that she is in Nova Scotia Canada. ;)
    Cats Expert

Jun 25, 2011, 06:59 AM
    Thanks, but I went and looked and all I got was username and date, when I clicked on her username, IE gave me the old cannot display webpage. So it was a shot in the dark.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cats cleaning themselves bald [ 1 Answers ]

The cat is an indoor cat she is about 4 yrs old she started licking he 2 back legs so much that they are bald she doesn't throw anything up and she is eating normal she has also been checked for fleas see nothing should this be a concern?

Keeping cats off my garden [ 1 Answers ]

Is it possible to keep cats off my garden and my garden furniture please help!!

Keeping your dogs/cats safe at christmas [ 9 Answers ]

1. No rich foods... gravy, candies, nuts can cause huge problems... remember not to leave food items wraped under the tree. As you know Fido/ Fefe has a great sense of smell. 2. Anchor your tree, a eye hook bolted to the wall or ceiling , with fishing line is a sure fire way to keep treesfrom...

Abscess recurrence [ 1 Answers ]

I had an abscess on a biscupid tooth due to nerve damage cuased by deep filling. I am abroad so haven't signed up with/visited a Dentist. I took some antibiotics and they worked, but now I am scared the abscess will return before I go home. How long do abscesses usually take to reccur after...

View more questions Search