Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lindaat Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 24, 2011, 06:14 AM
    Dog waking up earlier and earlier
    Our 7-month old dachshund/terrier puppy used to sleep about 10 hours/night, but in the past month, he's gone from waking about 8:00 to waking at 6:00 AM, then 5:30, which quickly became 5:00 AM, and now 4:30 AM. He won't go back to sleep, and I am exhausted. I can't just stick him in his crate because he will bark and yip and wake the other 4 members of the house. Any suggestions?
    rex123 Posts: 766, Reputation: 100

Jun 24, 2011, 10:48 AM
    When he wakes up in the morning, and cries, or whines do you pet him, do you get up with him? If so you could be rewarding his behaviour. Has your feedding schedule for him changed? Are you guys getting up at a different time then before, do you take him out to do his business at the same time as what you used to? If his schedule has not changed then I would suggest that when he does wake up at 4:30am that you do not pet him, nor do you speak to him(as this is a reward), I suggest that you just ignore it. Ignore the bad behaviour and praise the good behaviour!
    lindaat Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 24, 2011, 12:36 PM
    Comment on rex123's post
    Either I or my son gets up and takes him outside, but then we try to go back to sleep, only he won't have anything to do with it. If we don't take him out, he just barks and wakes up the whole house. Nothing has changed, in fact, we started having my husband take him out to do his business about 11:00 PM, thinking that might help him sleep later, but it doesn't make a difference. We do try to ignore him, but once he's up, he's up, and will yap or bark at the cat, or whatever nonsense he can think of, lol.
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Jun 24, 2011, 01:08 PM

EXERCISE!

Hes no longer an infant baby. Get him out during the day. If you are, get out more.

Also, don't feed into it. I'm sure by now that you know when he has to pee and poo. If he is waking in the middle of the night, take him out to go potty. Be as uninteresting and boring as possible. Praise for potty, then go back to bed and IGNORE HIM. When I have puppies that want to be early birds, I usually cover them and sleep through it. If he is in a crate next to you, you can knock on the top and say "quiet"

When puppies revolt, it can be tough to get them on your schedule. Just be firm with your rules. Make him tired before bed time and ensure that he goes out and pees if that is what he needs to do, but then right back to bed for the both of you. He'll catch on.
    rex123 Posts: 766, Reputation: 100

Jun 24, 2011, 01:16 PM
    Comment on rex123's post
    I'm just thinking that if he used to be able to last all night without having to use the bathroom, then he should be all right to go the whole night now without using the bathroom. Have you been noticing a difference in his toiletting habbits, or is it only at night? If its only at night The only advice I have is to ignore the behaviour, by taking him out you are basically rewarding the behaviour of him crying in the middle of the night.
    mrjolly11 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2012, 01:11 AM
    We have 7 year old white min. poodle she has started acting like she's hungry late at night and if we don't feed her she will lick one of us till we do. Is it OK to feed her that late or should we justact like we don't shee her.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Earlier periods [ 1 Answers ]

Dear fellow my periods statrt after just 15 days may I know the reason why does it happens... I'm realyy worried about it please help me out... THANKING YOU..?

Had a post earlier! [ 3 Answers ]

OK I don't know if you guys recall my earlier. I had a situation where this girl was harassing a lot of people I know and made it look like it was me. Well I was able to resolve the issue with most of the people the harassing was going on. One person I guy I met through my mom is still angry with...

Why could'nt I see this earlier. [ 4 Answers ]

I was in a very meaningful relationship with my girl friend for 9 months and when things started they were amazing and we were such compatible people. Then my life got shaken up about two months in to things. I was snowboarding and I fractured my neck. When this happened I lost all the thins I...

Earlier and earlier periods [ 30 Answers ]

Hi OK I relly need help. Ok last month my period was 2 days early. I know no biggie. Bt this month it is 8 days early. Nd I am having a lot of pregancy symptoms. I look up about inplantation bleeding. Which I think is what it is? It really brown. And barely bleeding. And makes since cause if it is...

View more questions Search