Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Elizabeth Hicks Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2007, 11:38 AM
    Cancelled Debts with earned income credit
    I recently received a cancelled debt paper from a credit company that cancelled a debt. They did this on their own, I did not request it. I have a cancelled auto debt for 9061.00. I have three children and I qualify for the earned income tax credit. How will this cancelled debt affect my tax return. I usually bring in 5000.00 when I file my taxes. Will this affect my earned income tax credit.
    It said that I have to file this with the IRS if it would result in taxable income. I'm not sure if it would. I have never dealt with this before. I am afraid if I file this with my taxes it will take away my tax credit which is used for my children. Is there anyway I can omit this from my taxes and file it later to pay anything I might owe. This is not from a bankruptcy. I had no idea they were doing this until I got the notice.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 29, 2007, 11:43 AM
    Elizabeth:

You will add this $9,061 to your Adjusted Gross Income, listing it on Line 21 of Form 1040.

With three children, this income should NOT affect your EIC too much.

If you want help on these issues, contact me at [email protected] with your income figures and I will run a tax return computation for you, no charge.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ira for retired with no earned income [ 1 Answers ]

Retired with income from investments, social security and pension. Can I invest in a roth or regular ira?

Can I claim earned income for my child that is a US citizen with an ITIN? [ 3 Answers ]

My husband has been living in the US for 16 years and is still illegal. Can he clain earned income on his taxes with an ITIN?

Earned Income Credit [ 1 Answers ]

Hi ATE, I am an Indian national who entered US on F1 visa in Aug 2002 and am currently on OPT. I have been filing my tax returns all these years using cintax software which used 1040NREZ and 8843. I graduated in May 2005 and have been on OPT since then. I worked on F1 visa till May 2005...

Credit Card Debts / Charged offs [ 1 Answers ]

I have 3 credit cards which two of them already reported to CRA my account as R9 ( Charged off ). I was told by so many people that credit card companies after 180 - or 210 days after first delinquency they charge off the account. And turn the account usually to collection firms. I have contacted...

Paying Off A Spouses Credit Debts [ 3 Answers ]

I would like to know something about paying off debts that a spouse made that one didn't know about and did not sign for her to get. The spouse died and the creditors are trying to make me pay for the debts that she made before she died that I didn't find out about until after her death. I...

View more questions Search