Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Jun 23, 2011, 07:57 AM
    Rear Porch vs Rear Deck
    Greetings,

I am on the cusp of winning an argument with my wife. So please help me out.

Wife wants a rear deck, I prefer a rear porch.

I am trying to sketch a porch configuration but I do not know how high on the roof to place the porch's roof supports or what angle they need to be cut at.

My Geometry skills are abysmal. I can do Algebra in my sleep but for some reason Geometry just eludes me.

The porch would be a ground level porch, roughly 8" above grade. The height of the roof supports would be 10' above the porch decking.

So what angle should the roof's 2 X 6s be cut to get me the a 12' length and a 10' height?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jun 23, 2011, 09:10 AM

Can you be a little more specific? It sounds like you're trying to determine the pitch of the roof, and the length is 12'. But how much higher is the peak of the roof than the its edge? In other words: does it rise from say 8' to 10' over a 12' length?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jun 23, 2011, 09:28 AM
    What are the deck dimensions? Is the 10ft. The high or low end? You didn't give us enough info. Tell us the dimensions and where the 10ft. Height is.

Jun 23, 2011, 09:38 AM

The pitch of the roof is a 4" to 12" rise.

The height of the roof needs to be 10' off the deck.

The depth of the porch flooring is 12' from the front of the porch to the wall of the house.

Yes, I am trying to determine the length of the rafter and the angle that the rafter needs to cut at so that I can attach it to the existing roof.
    Uber Member

Jun 23, 2011, 09:56 AM
    Donf, at 4/12, the length would be 12.62 plus the overhang. The simplest way to get the proper angle is to remove the fascia board, slide a 2X6 into the roof about 6-8" and then lay the roof joist against the front wall at the end and sketch the birdmouth. Cut 1 as a test fit to make sure the house and deck are square or all the other cuts will be off.

Jun 23, 2011, 10:59 AM

Thank you!
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jun 23, 2011, 06:46 PM

I am on the cusp of winning an argument with my wife.
    Let me know how that works out for you. Every time I win an argument with my wife I pay for it for at least a week.

Jun 23, 2011, 06:56 PM

Hank,

In 46 years of marriage I can count on one finger the number of times I've won an argument and come out on top.

I have won plenty of arguments but paid a much higher price than if I had just shut up and lost from the git-go.
    Uber Member

Jun 25, 2011, 11:34 AM
    Comment on hkstroud's post
    We celebrated our 44th today, 6/24. No arguments from me, at least until tomorrow. Brian
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jun 25, 2011, 01:08 PM

I can win any argument by saying "Yes Dear". I can start an argument any time by saying "What ever".

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Craftsman rear engine mower,runs fine,mower deck will not engage or cut the grass? [ 2 Answers ]

Rear engine craftsman mower runs fine,but the mower deck does not engage when you lower the lever?it appears the belt is on the pulleys,help...

Adjust Mower Deck of Snapper Rear Engine Rider [ 1 Answers ]

I need to raise the mower deck of my Snapper rear engine rider. It has a single blade with 30-inch cutting width. Currently, when lever is in upper-most position (#6) the blade still scalps portions of my lawn. I have looked through some online manuals but they are a bit confusing. Help...

Rear ended [ 4 Answers ]

We where rear ended and the guy lied to his insurance about hitting us and we have not gone to the dr for fear of being left with the bills will we eventually get paid without any doctor bills only if we got soft tissue damage

Rear Ended Someone [ 19 Answers ]

Okay so here is the story: I rearended someone. It was my fault, I was texting. We both pulled over and decided it was too minor to exchange insurance information. I had a dented license plate, she had nothing, I mean nothing. Can she later on change her mind, and tell her insurance...

View more questions Search