Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    casseh18 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 23, 2011, 04:22 AM
    Is Dying light Blonde hair to dark brown a bad idea?
    Hi all, I am thinking of semi-permanently dyeing my light blonde hair to dark brown. I love my hair but I simply feel like a change. However I am worried that if I do dye it it will never go the same colour again? Will I constantly have to get my hair dyed? Or should it grow back the same colour? I was thinking it would be possible to match it before hand to the right colour then when if it doesn't fade out I could dye it back and then it should grow normally? Am I wrong? Is it possible to recover blonde hair back or is this a big mistake? I really don't want to lose it forever and end up with dry and ratty hair... Thanks!
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 23, 2011, 04:50 AM

If you were dyeing your hair any shade of red, it would fade, not nearly back to blonde, okay, but if you dye any shade darker you will constantly have to colour your roots as you hair grows out. A daunting task to perform every three weeks, depending on how quickly your hair grows. No, brown will not fade out so you will achieve your true colour again. You would have to have it bleached and then a colour similar to your own applied, should you want your original colour back.

Tick
    casseh18 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 23, 2011, 05:18 AM
    Comment on tickle's post
    Thanks Tick, however I do not intend to keep the brown colour at all, I simply want to experience it for a few weeks then go back. So it is possible to get back to my natural blonde? So if it does not fade, What I'm worried about is if I do dye it back to a colour similar to my own it will still grow darker roots? As I have never dyed my hair before I have never experienced regrowth and I guess what I'm concerned about is blonde hair due to a lot of sunbleach? As the bottom layer of my hair is obviously darker than the top, is that what my regrowth would be? I just don't want to spend the rest of my life dying it I guess...
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 23, 2011, 06:49 AM

Your regrowth would be your NATURAL hair colour. So, you would have blonde roots and the rest dark. Very unnatractive. You didn't read my response correctly; I said you would have to bleach out the brown, and apply a blonde nearest your own. The brown will not fade the way you think it will. Semi permanent doesn't mean its going to fade, it means, depending on how porous your hair is, it will be there unless you want to bleach and rep-dye, or wait and have it all cut off to your own natural colour.

Of course, once you start bleaching to attain your natural colour again you are damaging your hair.

When you dye your hair you only dye the existing hair. Why do you think the regrowth will be brown if your natural colour is blonde?
    willows818 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 21, 2011, 05:19 PM
    Hi casseh18 :)

I'm 17 and I have very very light natural hair, it almost verges on white blonde (it was white until about 13). As far as hair dying goes, I'm too scared to try it as I reckon I won't get this colour back. I was talking to my mum about it (she has a LOT of experience with dyed hair hahaha) and she said she reckons if I dyed it brown it would grow back blonde but not light blonde, probably more a honey colour or if I'm lucky, the slightly darker colour underneath my top layer :(
    I wouldn't risk it unless you're prepared to get your bleached properly after the brown to get that blonde colour back (although again, you'd have to keep that up).
    Maybe try a strawberry blonde or maybe red or very very light brown if you want to keep your exact natural colour and talk to your hairdresser about it as they will probably know best :)
    I hope I helped!! Good luck with it all :):)
    Ruth3980 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 18, 2012, 08:09 AM
    Hello all, I attempted to dye my hair from blonde to a medium brown about 2 weeks ago but now looks very dull.. I asked the girl at the salon why and it is not recommended to permanently dye you're a darker color from being blonde (at home). When you have blonde hair, your hair essentially has no pigment to it. When you dye your hair with brown hair dye at home, the hair is less likely to hold the color for very long and will fade out very quickly, leaving a "muddy" and dull color. I highly recommend getting your hair colored at a salon if you are going from a very light blonde to a darker hair color. If you've already done it, don't sweat it. They can fix it with color correction at the salon. :) Hope this helps!
    clairemsmith Posts: 122, Reputation: 2

Aug 19, 2012, 12:49 AM
    You could try a temporary color (which lasts less time than semi permanent). I used Goldwell Colorance Soft Color Foam to darken my blond before, and it looked nice and faded out after about a week. I just used as sort of a "try on" color and didn't try to go drastically darker, just a couple shades.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dying light blonde hair to dark, chocolate brown! After effects? [ 14 Answers ]

My hair is naturally dirty blonde, but I have a really light blonde colour in it now. I want to dye it a dark brown colour. I went to the salon today and the stylist advised against dying it brown because of the process I'll have to go through to get it back blonde if I ever want to do that. Also,...

Dying bleached blonde hair back to dark brown [ 9 Answers ]

I have bleached blonde hair and I am wanting to dye it back to my natural color. I can't afford to go to the salon so what do you suggest. Also, my I have tried to go to a dark blonde, but I think it has a green tint to it. Also I need suggestions on getting my hair healthy again after getting it...

Dying hair from bleech blonde to dark brown [ 5 Answers ]

How can I dye my hair dark brown, its bleech blonde at the moment, but I don't want to go to the hairdressers because its too expensive! Can you help me! :)

I had light blonde hair, dyed it medium blonde, it turned out very dark brown. WTD? [ 1 Answers ]

I have medium blonde hair naturally. It was light blonde, and my roots were grown out pretty bad, and I bought Wella 711N which is medium blonde, and I used a 10 volume developer. I left it on for 20 minutes, and it turned out pretty dark. I have been washing it with joy dish soap. I read that I...

Dying brown hair to a light ash brown/caramel blonde [ 1 Answers ]

Basically. I have naturally dark auburn hair which is just really ginger/red/brown hair and I hate having any red/ginger in my hair, so I have dyed it dark dark brown/almost black for about 2 years now because that seems to be the only way to get the red out of my hair. I would like to go to a...

View more questions Search