Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tmeyer01 Posts: 136, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2011, 07:46 PM
    Chevy A/C compresser keeps engaging and disengaging
    I have a 2000 Tahoe. The air worked earlier this spring but then just stopped getting cold. I added one can of coolant but it didn't seem to help. It had a colorant in the can to help find leaks but did not see anything. I just added another can with a pressure gauge. The gauge reads about 45 psi when not running or when the vehicle is running but fan is turned off. Whenever the fan is turned on the compressor keeps turning on and off. When I have the gauge on it, it takes about 5-10 seconds to go up to 55 psi, then drops to 25 psi in a couple seconds, then back up, back down, etc. It does this with the fan turned on and doesn't matter whether the A/C is turned on or not.

I'm confused on this one. Any advice.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Jun 23, 2011, 05:47 AM

Your a/c system is low on refrigerant and that is why it "short cycles" as you've described.
    I would recommend you take it for proper evaluation because simply adding more to a leaky system will not result in adequate performance. The systme needs to be sealed and vacuumed to remove moisture before it can perform as designed.
    chaosmaster1 Posts: 294, Reputation: 12

Jun 23, 2011, 11:26 PM
    You definitely have a leak if you have a jiffy lube in your area take to them to have it leak checked and serviced if not take it to the dealer.

When adding it in you don't hearing any hissing sounds? Or unusual smells?
    tmeyer01 Posts: 136, Reputation: 1

Jun 24, 2011, 08:03 AM
    No, there are no apparent leaks anywhere. The first can of coolant I put in had some neon colorant in it. You can certainly see what sprayed out from hooking it up on the port but I see nothing anywhere else on the system and don't hear or smell anything.
    chaosmaster1 Posts: 294, Reputation: 12

Jun 24, 2011, 05:59 PM
    If I was you I would definitely have a mechanic check it out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Compresser will not shut off [ 2 Answers ]

My central air unit is working but the compresser will not shut off and there is frost on the pipe help.

Outside unit/compresser silver thingys [ 6 Answers ]

hi I'm not sure what to call them but my 5 yr old compresser outside has those little silver slat like things covering about 1/2 of the outside of the compressor housing? From what I understand they regulate the temperature of the coils maybe? didn't even know this could happen but this is...

Inside fans runs but outside compresser doesn't turn on. [ 3 Answers ]

Our outside compresser doesn't turn on when we turn on AC, but the inside unit does work but warmer air blows out. The thermostat temp doesn't adjust either. It always says 80. Should the compresser need service or does the thermostat need replacing? Want should we do? Now we did have the outside...

AC fan not working Compresser Runs Fin [ 1 Answers ]

I noticed my A/C was not blowing - checked the compressor was running. Opened the control box and turned the power back on and pushed the blower compartment safety switch. A green led on the control board lights and I hear a relay click, but the fan does not start. I turned the system to heat...

Air condition compresser lra [ 1 Answers ]

How to find hp by lra in compresser?

View more questions Search