Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aplaturkar Posts: 4, Reputation: 0

Jan 29, 2007, 10:21 AM
    Connection broadband and LAN
    How can I configure two LAN cards one for broadband connection and secod for LAN networking through other PCS?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 29, 2007, 10:24 AM
    Why do you need to? Get a broadband router and connect all the PCs to it.

Jan 29, 2007, 07:50 PM
    Sir, I have a switch which provides the LAN to my 8 computers and a broadband router has only one LAN port in this case how can I work? One solution is, to put TWO LAN cards in a server where one connects the broadband router and other connects the switch, is it in working and can I get all my computers which are connected in LAN are in inter connected through broadband? pl. guide me.

Jan 29, 2007, 08:01 PM
    All you need is one LAN port. You then plug the switch into that port and plug your PCs into the switch.

Jan 30, 2007, 12:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    All you need is one LAN port. You then plug the switch into that port and plug your PCs into the switch.
    This means that I should connect the broadband port into the switch's one port and other ports of the switch will be connected through the computers.

pl. confirm.

Thank you for your co-operative response.

Jan 30, 2007, 06:56 AM
    If the router only has one LAN port, its meant to be connected to a switch. You can then daisy chain switches. Some switches have an uplink port to connect it to another switch. So you would run an ethernet cable from the router into that port, then connect your other network devices into the switch.
    HVAC888 Posts: 674, Reputation: 75

Feb 5, 2007, 10:09 AM
    If there is no uplink port, then you need to use a "crossover" ethernet cable, so a port on one router can connect to the port of another router.

A crossover ethernet cable, will have the Tx pair and Rx pair reversed on each end.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ethernet cable length-does it affect speed of broadband connection [ 4 Answers ]

I want to get a longer ethernet cable as it is too short at the moment. We currently have one that is just 2 metres long. I would like to get a 15 metre or perhaps even a 20 metre cable. The problem is that my husband says that the longer the cable, the slower the internet speed will be. ...

Whether the speed of broadband divide in client server connection [ 3 Answers ]

I will be very pleased if anybody could tell me that when we connect two computers by LAN than whether the speed of the broadband will divide or not. I mean for example if it is 128kbps. After connection will it remain same in both the computers or will it divide to 64kbps.:confused:

New LAN connection [ 3 Answers ]

How would i be able to create a lan between my desktop and laptop, Please anybody help me Too urgent.

Broadband connection [ 3 Answers ]

I have Windows XP professional, previously when I switched I was connected to my server automatically nowadays however I have to connected manually, I have not changed my server or any details of my sever connection. I would like to return to the automatic connection and any help I can get to...

Windows ME LAN Connection [ 16 Answers ]

I am having problems connecting to the internet through a computer in my house. I have a LAN connection and the computer is running Windows ME but I am having problems connecting to the internet. All the protocols and everything are set right, I've tried to reset the ip, but I still can't connect...

View more questions Search